Orange River to Cape Town, 8 September 2012


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Northern Cape » Orange River
September 10th 2012
Published: October 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Orange River to Cape Town, 8 September 2012

Up at 4.00am and away by 5.30am, after packing up our tent for the last time. As soon as we left, almost everyone went to sleep in the bus. After 1 ½ hours of driving (and the sun was up by this stage), we stopped at Springbock for coffee and food from Wimpys, a franchise like Hungry Jacks or McDonalds. This was breakfast for some of the group and morning tea for others.







Along the way we saw that the wild flowers were out... There were purple, yellow, orange and many shades of green. Often this was seen with a mountainous backdrop. The road was excellent. We phoned ahead, orders for lunch. We ate lunch on the bus because our aim was to get to Cape Town as early as possible. We arrived at the Lady Hamilton Hotel at 3.30pm. After checking in we got ready to go to dinner. I was pretty excited because we were meeting my sister Sheryl who had been in Dubai for 10 days with Brian, her husband.







At 7.30pm we all caught several taxis (R10 each ie $1.30!) and arrived at Mama Africas restaurant. We immediately heard the African music pounding out. It was fantastic. Mama Africa Restaurant is an African style tourist restaurant offering local and African meals, like Bobotie and Potjiekos, but also springbok, kudu and crocodile steak. Live marimba music was being played throughout the night during our dinner.







And there was Sheryl waiting for us. We said to each other “can you believe we are catching up in Africa?”. Surreal! We were both full of news after we introduced to Sheryl to all the people Tom and I had been travelling with, mostly from Livingstone but there was Peter and Georg who had been travelling with us since Nairobi – 54 days. We will miss them, particularly as we had been living with them, 24/7 for all those days.







Tom had 6 different game meats for dinner – ostrich, kudu. Zebra, crocodile, warthog, and chicken, which I had in Namibia and highly recommended it. I had a beautifully tender ostrich steak. We were all pretty tired as it had been a long day, so off to bed by 10.00pm.







The next morning after breakfast we checked out and moved hotels where Sheryl was staying. Our tour had ended!!!!!!!!!!!!! It has been absolutely fantastic experiences. We have been so lucky.


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb