We're On Our Way - Cape Town to the Namibian Border


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Northern Cape » Orange River
August 11th 2011
Published: September 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

M – Back again. Getting on line in Namibia when you are camping, although possible, doesn’t really fit with the flow of the whole thing. As such I have been ‘off-air’ for longer than normal. To catch up the next few blogs will be short and hopefully sweet with the ‘story’ told by the photos.

Day 1 - Rather than risk delays at the border and arrive at night at our first camp site we played safe and drove 750km North from Cape town to the Orange River which forms the boundary for the South Africa and Namibian from the West Coast inland several hundred km. The landscape began to change into desert a couple of hundred km from the border. We were told to keep a look out for the desert flowers. We couldn’t miss them. I have added a couple of shots the photos don’t really do justice to the blankets of different colors seen on the rolling hills.

Relying heavily on guidance from our friends we checked in at Bushwackers Camp Site. A real friendly site literally on the banks of the river a few km along from the border crossing. We had a private site with very good shared facilities. I have camped before in the UK and France but I have never had a private site like this. We were literally in our own fenced in corral with its own BBQ pit and kitchen sink. A taste of things to come camping Namibian style.

Next morning we made our first African border crossing. We were a little anxious as we didn’t own the car and were relying on the documentation we had obtained from the Cape Town police to show that we weren’t stealing it. They didn’t ask for it and all went smoothly. In fact I think we did Customs, Immigration and Police Check on the SA side plus the same on the Namibian side – and all in less than 30 minutes. A fraction of what some of the borders in Central America took us. I am not sure if SA holding the Football World Cup 3 years ago has had anything to do with the process but we were pleasantly surprised. Next stop Namibia!





Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.203s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0872s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb