A Very Lion Christmas - Ukutula Lion Reserve


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » North West » Brits
January 24th 2013
Published: January 24th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Over the Christmas Holiday, we were fortunate to have visitors from KC. The St. Clair family made the long flight from Kansas City to Johannesburg to experience the holidays South African style. Shortly after they arrived (the next day to be exact) we took them to Ukutula Lion Reserve. This proved to be an amazing Christmas Gift for us all. We never imagined having so many close encounters with lions in the coarse of 24 hours. After having been in Africa for over a year and a half now, I must say this was the most enjoyable experience to date. The Reserve is currently home to around 90 lions, as well as many other Africa species, including a very friendly Cheetah name Emma, Caricals, Serval Cats, and all many other antelope species. The day started off with a short drive from our home in Pretoria to the town of Brits, just north of Pretoria. Then about 12 miles north of Brits, on some dodgie roads we found our destination. After a short greeting and settling into our chalet's, we were off to visit the adult lions. Not sure exactly how many "mature" lions they have, but they are sure to be the envy of any zoo on the planet. After about a hour of being informed as to the function of the reserve, they are one of the leading research centers for lion genetics in the world. Their top breading male produces three times as much sperm as an average lion (a little bit too much info I know), and he has the gene that produces white lions. They estimate that about 14% of his off-spring are "White" (don't quote me on that). Along with the lions, they house two bengal tigers and a few hyenas.



After the visit to the adult lion area, we were treated to a few refreshments, and then the real fun started. We entered an area that houses about 20 of the "Little Devils". The were about two to six month old. The were afraid of nothing and very curious and friendly. We spent about a half hour with them, and then went on to the area were they were keeping another 20 cubs that were less than 2 months old. The timing for this interaction made it interesting, we were there just before feeding time, and they knew it. This little ones may not even weigh 8 pounds yet, but they still have the hear of a lion pumping in them. I hope you enjoy the pics, pay especially close attention to Olivia faces when they are dropping the cubs in her lap.



After the interaction with the cubs, we visited Emma the Cheetah, and depending on her mood, you can pet her. We were lucky because she happened to be in a good mood that day.



After all the interaction with the various cats, we had a nice dinner and a restful sleep.



Then next morning, I (Shawn) and 3/4's of the St Clairs (Shane, Madeline and Zach) went on a bush walk with two adolescent lions (18-24 months old). This was an amazing experience. We walked about a kilometer in the bush to a pond, along the way, the lions were completely free to roam and play as they pleased. We had two "handlers" escorting us and minding the lions. They kept the lions busy by feeding them baby chicks along the way. I took some pretty amazing photo's, I hope you enjoy.



After the Bush Walk, we returned to have breakfast. As we were waiting for breakfast, Sophia came running to the table alerting us that we must come quick immediately. The owners had allowed us a very special interaction with a six day old cub. Her eyes were open, but she could not see yet. The eight of us had about a half hour to ourselves with this little wonder.



So if anyone ever visits South Africa, this location is an absolute must visit for a once in a lifetime experience.

http://www.ukutula.com/


Additional photos below
Photos: 146, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb