Staying at Nsele Lodge, Hoedspruit


Advertisement
Published: October 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

After a pretty monster drive along back roads and sandy tracks we were greeted at Nsele Lodge by Afrikaans Olaf and Stephanie, their friendly staff and crazy dogs. Another hidden gem of a place to stay thanks to Acacia. We each had a small thatched chalet with mosquito nets which were turned down for you and an ensuite - ahhh nice! As we were in a malaria area we were both dripping with deet and armed with numerous mosquito repelling devices - Neil swiping at any insect that came anywhere near. Nsele lodge is like a home from home. There was a big long table stretched out for shared dining, the dogs now calm were tucked up on their beds and we enjoyed pre dinner drinks round the open fire before the drum boomed that dinner was ready. Olaf and Stephanie shared stories of their game drives, animals they had rehabilitated and a problem elephant that repeatedly stomped through their fences to get to the tasty marula tree. Neil confessed that he was desperate to see a bush baby and Stephanie giggled as she recounted the orphaned one she had rescued. Apparently, bush babys pee on their hands and feet to give more grip when they climb and also to leave their scent on their territory - this little critter would pee on itself and then throw itself onto Olafs face as he started to wind down for the evening. Of course bush babys are nocturnal so as everyone in the human world is getting ready to go to sleep they are waking up and bouncing around all over the place. We tucked in to yet another delicious bbq'd steak and enjoyed some marula liquor after dinner.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0136s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb