South Africa Day 3 & 4: Are the Animals Deadly?


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Mpumalanga » Kruger National Park
December 18th 2009
Published: December 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Sabie RiverSabie RiverSabie River

A bit challenged in taking the photo with the infrared remote. Yes, that's it in my right hand, the wide angle lens does not help in trying to hide it.
Same answer as usual. The answer is of course yes, but HOW deadly are they? Not at all. We had lions within arms reach and a Leopard within leaping range of our heads.

We are very much taking it easy today. We skipped the morning Game Drive with the intent of doing tomorrow's before we head to Swaziland. The intent was that we would sleep in, but I punched out of bed before sunrise as the wildlife outside began its excited pitch at first light. So I sent the Game Driving party off and dutifully brought coffee back to the cottage. We are now relaxing on the lodge's verandah as the day progressively heats up and humidity sets in. I should have brought more shorts. And some flip-flops. I heeded warnings too much and came prepared like some kind of commando.

Jennifer has a massage in a half hour, I think I might get some pool time before lunch and then we will do the evening game drive again. Unfortunately the hotel's computer and guest internet are down, so we will have to wait a little longer before posting all of the photos and blogs. Sorry you had to
Praying MantisPraying MantisPraying Mantis

This one looked albino, all of them looked albino. Would be easy to miss this fellow when sitting down.
wait so long!


Our Final Game Drives


I've condensed our final two days into one at Tinga. We had fabulous Game Drives and if it wasn't for our skipping the morning one, we would have seen every one of the Big Five. Our only miss was a White Rhino they saw on the morning drive. Oh well. We will have to come back I figure. We almost beat Johan's record of 5 leopards in one day with 4 of them, two of which were a mother and daughter hunting a pack of impalas.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

African Stick InsectAfrican Stick Insect
African Stick Insect

Near to the Praying Mantis, we were hoping they would do battle. This guy was even more easy to miss, Jennifer saw him after I gave her a good scare by getting her to sit down next to the Mantis.
Great TreeGreat Tree
Great Tree

If someone can help in identifying the species, that would be great.
Yo Wassup Paco!Yo Wassup Paco!
Yo Wassup Paco!

You one ugly looking dude man!
Clouds over TingaClouds over Tinga
Clouds over Tinga

Spent the morning by the pool while Jennifer got her massage. I didn't have it all that bad.
Pool at TingaPool at Tinga
Pool at Tinga

The wide angle makes it look a lot smaller. I am starting to get a hang of white balance, aperture, saturation, and ISO settings.
Is that lady like?Is that lady like?
Is that lady like?

We found a pride of lions relaxing after what was clearly a good meal. Cats are cats, no matter how big or small.
Vetiver MonkeysVetiver Monkeys
Vetiver Monkeys

They were very interested in Jennifer getting her massage on the deck. A family of three including a baby. They like to steal things from cottages left open.
Elephant FamilyElephant Family
Elephant Family

Today we ran into a very large herd of elephants. Johan says there are now too many of them as they have no enemies other than man.
Boma DinnerBoma Dinner
Boma Dinner

We ate at a communal table with Johan and the Italians. Very good braai on the menu.
The Big BossThe Big Boss
The Big Boss

Wouldn't even lift his head. Wow, they've got it good.
Hippos!Hippos!
Hippos!

The number one killer of people in Africa. But only out of self-defense. Really? Who would want to mess with one of these things?


Tot: 0.448s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 38; qc: 155; dbt: 0.168s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb