Snorkelling at Sodwana Bay


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » KwaZulu-Natal
January 23rd 2008
Published: November 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Chicken on the spitChicken on the spitChicken on the spit

Rescued from the monkeys!
The snorkelling from the beach was absolutely amazing, we had already checked the tides and the spring tide was just as we arrived which meant that the tides were very low and the timing was just right, in the middle of the day. There are some very sheltered inlets where you can snorkel most of the time and a great pool where the variety and numbers of fish was fantastic. We saw lots of moray eels, some of them too close for comfort, we saw leopard rays, an incredible variety of coloured fish, most of which we cannot name, we saw prawns and an octopus which was fascinating to watch. Even some of the very shallow pools have an amazing variety of fish. We spent hours just floating and looking.

The weather was very hot but there is always a slight breeze at the beach which keeps it tolerable, although in some cases the breeze was a bit stiff and meant we couldn't have the umbrella up.

Because all the children had gone back to school the site was incredibly quiet. It's a lovely bushy site with each one very private surrounded by bushes and trees. The monkeys can be a problem and they came through the camp at least once a day and we had to close the trailer and make sure no food was left out.

We were going to have chicken on the spit and it was sitting in the trailer defrosting, we knew the monkeys were about but didn't think they had a taste for chicken, one of them made a grab for it, Andy saw and we all shouted and just managed to save it, luckily it was still wrapped up otherwise it might have been a bit sandy when he dropped it! It tasted lovely.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.208s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb