Draw to a close


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Johannesburg
January 2nd 2012
Published: January 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

So this is the first time I have lagged on my travel blog but i guess this segment is the few days leading up to the new year.



On thursday we had a long shift, the highlights of which include:

- standing in a fountain of blood while oferating on a 2cm hole in the left ventricle (saw the man today, he looks great)

- the trauma desk getting compleatly cleared of patients for the first time since we arrived



Andrew got a splash in the eye when removing a chest draing and so he is now on double therepy PEP.



On friday night we went out to Melville for one of the sydney boys birthdays. They had rounds of shots including one where you drink with a straw through fire (well that was the idea, but there sure was alot of burning plastic).

I wasnt drinking re PEP but did remember my love for mixing espresso coffee with mineral water that at some point was a special drink releiased by campos.

On new years another usyd guy joined our household, he is starting trauma now. That night we went over to the other boys house and had a barbeque, sitting arround talking and listening to music. We were in bed by 11:00 but the fireworks kept me plesently awake until 12:20 am in the new year.



Our 28 hour shift on 1/1/12 the was somthing that everyone, and I especialy, was very aprehensive about.

Our feers turned out to be justified and the night for me will forever be remembered by two images.

1. Aproximatly 50 people trying to sit at the three person trauma interview desk.

2. The cubicle where a man had pulled the lid off an over-full sharps container, poured it all over the floor, and then proceeded to deficate all over the old needles and other sharps.

I didnt make it through the whole night and ended up sleeping the last few hours. I give full credit to the USYD boys working with me who struggled through to the handover rounds.

The bara, in my expreiance is a pretty miserabl place that is home to some pretty horrible truths. But alot of people there do alot of good.



L

Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0539s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb