baby steps into soweto


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Johannesburg
December 18th 2011
Published: December 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

for dinner on friday night a bunch of us went up to newtown, an area of which is very upmarket. We ate at sophiatown bar where I had tripe and mopani worms because i had already eaten way to much for the day. as expected my appetite was deminished significantly.



after dinner we went over to the bar next to world of beer, there we listened to lively jazz and drank their house wine which i suspect was just red paint.



on saturday we went for a walk up in the nature park, the zebras were hiding in the morning but i had a nice chat to a tortise. after that we headed over to soweto for lunch on vilkazi street which is the tourist hub.



andrew and I went to the hector peterson museum, avoided the nelson mandella house (it looked very modern, ja) and i fell in love with a bead work goat which ill have to go back and buy before we leave. we went up the road to another bar and i got a bit excited when i saw that there was going to be a big party that night. the venue looked awesome like a vip tent at a music festival. sadly we could not find a south african to go with and all smart advice including soweto locals was to not go without such a person, so we had a night in.

at 1130 at night one of the english students called andrew and asked him to do a 24hr shift the next day, which is prety inconsiderate. today we went to rosebank mall and spent the day wandering arround the markets. there was alot of interesting and good quaility stuff.



now im going to bed because tommorow i have another 24hr.



over and out,

captain billy

Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0587s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb