Diverse South Africa.


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Johannesburg
March 23rd 2009
Published: December 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

South Africa is a kaleidoscope of contrasts. The average person’s image of South Africa ranges from safari suits to apartheid, georgeous Table Mountain to Soweto, modern wines to AIDS. This is a country that needs to be seen to be comprehended. My first taste of Africa went from the five star Bangkok Novotel and Thai Airways first class to a backpacker’s dormitory.

We had booked an African Travel Co tour with On the Go and arrived in Jo’Burg as it is affectionately known, a day prior. The place was the Backpacker’s Ritz. It hardly was the ritz. Jetlag had set in so we slept for most of the day. We did make a small trip to the local shopping centre to purchase a memory chip for the camera and then to the service station that night for dinner.

Not many people have kind words to say about Jo’Burg and the razor wire fences seem to conjure these thoughts. The short walk to the service station had us worried with fear – all through hearsay.

The first full day in South Africa, I awoke refreshed and ready for a big day. My hopes were dashed, as there was a taxi strike on this day. The guy who owned the hostel said two white boys going into the centre of Johannesburg wasn’t the wisest of ideas so we decided to make alternate arrangements. We met a nice driver named Simon who took us to the Apartheid Museum. We arranged with his to pick us up in a few hours so we decided to go the Golden Reef Theme Park next to the museum. It was like a smaller version of the Gold Coast theme parks with ferris wheels, rollercoasters and a zoo.

The Apartheid Museum, opened in 2001, is a complex dedicated to illustrating apartheid during the previous century. One cannot underestimate the effect apartheid had on this history of the country and the aftereffects are still evident in everyday life. It was a stunning visual journey depicting the way of life before 1990.

That night was the pre-departure meeting at the hostel. We met with most people who were going on the tour. Peter, the tour leader; Ivan, the cook; Muno, the driver; Linda, Therese, Marylane, from the Netherlands – Linda and Therese had been travelling through Ghana together for six month prior; Alison, a pharmacist from Canada; Rodney, a bus driver from Coffs Harbour; Iker and Ixus, honeymooners from the Basque Country in Spain; Lee, Patrick, John, three Australian guys who were living in London, they had just done the garden route. Later we would be joined by Susan and Macca from the Northern Territory.

Because Susan and Macca were delayed and we did not know where they were, our departure was delayed somewhat. Once we left Jo’Burg we drove through various shantytowns on our way to the Kruger National Park. Peter reiterated that not even him; a big built Zimbabwean would not venture into Johannesburg centre alone. We were told that Durban and Johannesburg would soon merge into one megalopolis and that the shanty towns would probably never go. The government has tried to assist on numerous occasions but the people thrive on crime and are able slip through the cracks.

Its about a four hour drive to the Kruger National Park – we pass through different communities. One of particular interest was White River – it looked like the epitome of what us foreigners expect Africa to be like.

Kruger National Park is one of the largest game reserves in Africa. Home to all the Big Five (Leopard, Lion, Elephant, Rhino and Buffalo) – it covers almost 19,000 square kilometres. The national park alone is bigger than the whole country of Fiji.

We stayed in 5 star tents just outside the Numbi Gate. The first night we went 4×4 jeep safari. The main aim of the safari, in my opinion is to spoke the Big Five – which were the 5 most, sought after animals by poachers. It is also pretty cool to see other animals like giraffes, zebra, hippo and crocodiles. That first night we spotted Rhino, Buffalo and Elephant and right towards the end of the drive – a pack of lions. The next day the safari took place in the truck and we still missed the elusive leopard.

Corruption is rife in South Africa, as we found out in a small town called Hazyview. We went there to withdraw some money where some people of the tour were scammed at the ATM. The trick for someone to ‘help’ the foreigner withdraw money by asking their PIN to assist. Meanwhile their card is being copied and they can withdraw funds.

The tour made its way through the Blyde River Canyon. The Blyde River Canyon is located in the Mpulamanga region and is the world’s third largest canyon and has an abundance of green foliage. There are potholes, outlooks and ledges. Perhaps the most famous of which is Gods Window, a stunning outlook a short hike up the mountain.

That afternoon we set up camp and a few us went for a hike to see some waterfalls – the water was cold, but I followed instinct and jumped in. Iker and Ixus taught us all some campfire games that night. Interesting to note that I didn’t bring sufficient warm clothing/blankets and didn’t imagine that Africa would be cold. This night was the coldest most uncomfortable night I have ever slept and needless to say I went to buy some warm materials soon after.

In Africa people get paid on the 25th day of the month and the tour made its way to the town of Polokwane the first Saturday after the 25th. Here it seemed that everyone in town was out spending their money. The KFC was full and the PicknPay was crowded more than any other store I had ever seen. It wasn’t a big day so we ended the last night in South Africa eating Maize around camp.

So the tour ended its part in South Africa. There are not many other countries in the world where your experiences can go from two opposite sides of the spectrum. Almost getting robbed, taxi strikes and shantytowns vs spectacular scenery, wildlife and people. South Africas charm will continue to draw in a range of different tourists for years to come.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb