The bald eagle has landed - in Johannesburg


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Johannesburg
April 17th 2007
Published: April 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Flights April 17th


Not you, MadonnaNot you, MadonnaNot you, Madonna

Ad for a range of African music CDs. Take that, Madonna!

Flights April 17th
Katherine Howell
Made our way through customs without a hitch despite me looking a little suspicious with a very short new hair do (hence the delightful new nickname above - thanks Brigid!!) and carrying the travel guitar in a case that makes it look more like a rifle (or the baboon gun, as Justin calls it). Fended off a number of transport offers, found the woman from the hostel and - 22 hours after we raced out of bed this morning - we’re here! Heavy rain and thunder, but warm. Hostel room is palatial; the bathroom is big enough to be a dance floor. Pity we’re both a bit too tired to make use of that…

Day got off to a more frantic start than we expected with a call from Qantas at 5.30am to say that our Melbourne to Perth flight had been delayed and, in order for us to make our connecting Perth to Johannesburg flight, we’d have to leave Melbourne on an earlier plane. Cue mad rush out of the house, but we got there in heaps of time. Large posse came out to see us off, which was lovely - Justin, Mum, Dad, Liam and Conor, and 4 of Brigid’s friends who turned up to surprise her. Not surprisingly, there were some tears (well on my front, Brigid’s tougher…) - am very excited about the trip, but I will miss you all very much while I’m away.

Anyway, the day is long. It’s only 8pm Jo’burg time, but that’s 4am Melbourne time so I’m about out of stamina and witticisms. Not much exciting to report on the aeroplane movie front (sorry Dad!), but do have to report on seeing one of the strangest characters of all time today… we called him ‘Bling King Dream Team’ - a large (both in the tall and rotund senses) 30-something white man wearing a white USA 1992 Basketball Dream Team Uniform with gold trim. Pants pulled up far too high. One of those lycra swimming-cap-like hats (white). Bum bag. Many gold chains. And, the piece de resistance, a large tattoo of Jesus with the words ‘in memory of’ above it on his arm. Nooooiiicce!

Back to the airport in the morning for flights to Nairobi and then Mombasa. We should be in Kilifi late tomorrow night. First impressions of Africa so far have been all airport. Might be a couple of days before I can report on something more exciting. Will write again soon.

Love K x


Advertisement



21st April 2007

....
you wish you were bling king dream team.... mother says hi, i spose the rest of us do too......... peace, word, cons
21st April 2007

King Bling Dream Team Man
We also saw 'King Bling Dream Team' man at teh airport and we particularly liked the fact that every item of clothing was coordinated - including the gold trimmed shoes and socks! I think you exaggerated his height just a little bit - he was shortish with a very big gut and a very strange waddle! Fly high Bald Eagle! love you. Joey xxx
21st April 2007

Bling King Dream Team Man
Does white make you look taller?

Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 25; qc: 123; dbt: 0.1055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb