Shark Dive Take 2 and Robben Island


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Johannesburg
November 29th 2006
Published: November 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi all,

First of all, thanks for your heartfelt sympathies at our distress at sea, it really warms the cockles to know how much you all care and didn't find any of it amusing at all.

After our antics at sea, Vikki decided water wasn't her thing (at least until 4pm for the ferry, but we'll talk about that later) and would be camerawoman instead as Rik took the plunge into the Cape Town Aquarium with some 3.5 meter Ragged Tooth sharks (with permission of course). Vik got some great footage and Rik survived the encounter and even brought back a tooth (a shark one, not one of his own) from the bottom of the tank. When we get somewhere you don't have to carry the camcorder in your stomach to keep yourself safe from muggings, we'll try and upload some of these images and videos.

Anyway, after the swim we tucked into some KFC African style (more muscle than meat) so we could swallow down our travel sickness tablets (yes we do learn from our mistakes) so that we could confidently take the ferry to Robben Island without covering the crew in said KFC.

Upon arrival on the island, we were herded onto coaches (the usual tourist russian roulette with drivers), however we got lucky this time both with driver and with tour leader although she was hoping for an Oscar after having most of the coach in tears with the stories of prison life and Apartheid in general. We saw the quarry where Mandela worked and the cell where he stayed those 18 years on the island. We were shown around the prison by an ex-political prisoner who had served 7 years there.

That was all for Cape Town and we flew out yesterday (Tues) and boy were we in for a shock! The taxi run from Johannesburg airport, across town to the backpackers hostel was like driving through downtown Beirut. Once we arrived (after kissing the floor with thanks of course) we were told there was no room and that we were being dumped at the overflow place they have. Its only about 10 minutes away, but trust me those 10 minutes can seem like hours as you dodge bullets and outrun the muggers (only joking mums and dads).

Thats all for now, but we will be out of contact for a while now as we start our safari tomorrow morning at 7am. If we don't get chance to jump on this again before hand, everyone have a nice Christmas and we'll write soon.

Rik and Vik

Advertisement



29th November 2006

One lucky fella
Guess you're having the time of your life on this one of a hell adventure. I've managed to get hold of this Travel Blog site eventually, after your ma and pa had no idea. They were giving me e-mail addresses and not this website. Anyhow, Liz came to my aid and forwarded the address. Do let's see some piccys and video. One envious 'Uncle' Ian, Jackie, David and Amy
5th December 2006

FESTIVE TIME
HELLO YOU TWO. HOPE ALL IS OK. THIS WEEK SEES THE FIRST WEEK OF MY FESTIVE ENGAGEMENTS. I WILL TRY NOT TO EAT TOO MUCH. HOPE YOU GET SOME SORT OF XMAS FOOD.

Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0723s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb