Background: After the British seized the Cape of Good Hope area in 1806, many of the Dutch settlers (the Boers) trekked north to found their own republics. The discovery of diamonds (1867) and gold (1886) spurred wealth and immigration and intensified the subjugation of the native inhabitants. The Boers resisted British encroachments, but were defeated in the Boer War (1899-1902). The resulting Union of South Africa operated under a policy of apartheid - the separate development of the races. The 1990s brought an end to apartheid politically and ushered in black majority rule.
Photos from Edenvale
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Edenvale
Latest Blogs from Edenvale
- November 7th 2012 Searching for a Vehicle
by Words: 403 Photos: 3
- July 4th 2012 And we're off!
by Words: 333 Photos: 4
- January 11th 2011 December 2010 – Family Christmas
by Words: 338 Photos: 4
- November 22nd 2008 Lamb on the Spit, Rugby and Hippies
by Words: 381 Photos: 4
- November 21st 2008 Africa Here We Come
by Words: 756 Photos: 1
- February 22nd 2008 Tool Box of Makeup!
by Words: 366 Photos: 6
- February 14th 2008 Going to Marloth
by Words: 421 Photos: 0
- February 13th 2008 New Place...
by Words: 170 Photos: 3
- January 29th 2008 Casino and Seafood Supper
by Words: 84 Photos: 3
- November 10th 2007 Sunny Days & Family Reunion in Jo'Burg
by Words: 142 Photos: 1