Kimberley


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Free State
November 20th 2007
Published: November 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Big HoleThe Big HoleThe Big Hole

That's a long way down!
The third week of our trip and the first of our proper tour started with the drive to Kimberley. We found a campsite right next to the Big Hole so stayed there, a lovely site, very grassy with lots of trees, it had a construction site on one side (a new convention centre) but on the other where we camped was some waste ground that was just teeming with birds. We visited the Big Hole and I was expecting just that - a big hole - which of course it was but it was also so much more. There was a reconstruction of the village with a lot of original items, there was also a bar complete with music, bar sounds etc, it was really well done and there was no charge to look at this village. We then viewed the big hole from a viewing platform that goes right up to the edge and over the top, and afterwards were taken underground to see a reconstruction of one of the mines complete with fake dynamite explosion, very real and worthwhile. At the end we were escorted into the vault to see a collection of diamonds, they wouldn't tell us what they were valued at but I expect it is in the millions.

While in Kimberley I also visited the local dentist as I had been suffering form toothache, she promptly extracted one for me and that seems to have solved the problem. I'm hoping it help my weight allowance when I return home.

We spent the evening chatting to one of the local people who joined us at the campfire, he had come into Kimberley to stock up for his shop. That's the beauty of camping, you really do get to meet and talk to a lot of people.

I'm unable to download photos at the moment so will add those later.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.261s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.2045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb