Thonsi, Water and another choir


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Eastern Cape
March 4th 2010
Published: March 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Thontsi and water and another choir
We were first today but actually there was a huge traffic build up and we were delayed. We all thought it was an accident but it turned out later that it was a boycott by the traffic controllers. I am not sure why but all roads lead to the World Cup at the moment so it may have been connected with extra work dealing with all the setting up. Our driver, Kulani, has come interesting strategies for getting around and avoiding traffic which usually involve going the wrong way down a stretch of road and this morning wa no exception. We did somehow circumvent the worst of the traffic but the process is slightly hair raising.
I assumed we were on the Wednesday timetable this morning but having carefully tried to play the first half of the morning to take account of the unfairness yesterday, break did not come at the right time of 9.30 and was in fact late even by non Wednesday timetables and so the group who were meant to have a short session had another long one! At break, it was announced that the activity which was supposed to happen at 1.30 was now happening at 11.0 and therefore there would be no more lessons. As the teachers had not been told and they had carefully organized all their groups to come to me without me going to get them today their plans were undermined. The activity turned out to be a presentation about water conservation, There is a potential drought situation here and panic as there could not be any water for the World Cup (Countdown started yesterday - 99 days today!!). All the children had to go out into the playground. It was by now getting hot. The foundation had to go first carrying their own chairs form the oa manner which would have UK health and safety in hysterics. They managed quite effectively and the older children had to stand behind. The presentation was very dramatic with drum roll and a rao and much audience participation and free gifts of mugs and water bottles and Tshirts. There was a huge blow up of Thontsi the water saving mascot (a drop of water personified) and the children were a high as kites when it finishedI did manage to see three groups briefly by the end of the day. They actually worked quite well considering and I am beginning ot get their names straight and even pronounce some of them correctly.
Tomorrow is the farewell for Laurie and Helen, the two volunteers with me at Joe Slovo, and Friday is big cleaning day and we finish at 11.00 so the rest of the week is going to be a bit messy too.
We managed a very windy walk along the front when we got back. The surf was really rolling and on the beach the sand blows when it is very windy so we just admired it from the promenade. I saw a solitary brave kite surfer in the distance.
The head at one of the schools, Mr January, invited us to watch the choir practice at his church, Ethiopian Orthodox this evening before dinner. He is very involved in the volunteer programme and has visited some volunteers in England. The choir sing using sofar (I think that is the correct term, they just sing do re me fa so la ti do as appropriate rather than the words to practice. One of our volunteers is a music specialist and could sing along and Robin could also follow it. Some of the tunes were recognizable and the singing was beautiful. At the end, we finished by singing with them some Christmas Carols from the cd which they were making. Mr J then came back and joined us forf dinner in the hotel. It was interesting to hear the path he had taken in order to be the one person in his family that managed to get a full education and qualify and a teacher and then develop further to be a principal. None of the rest of his family is employed.


Advertisement



4th March 2010

Hello
All sounds very interesting and exhausting Sue but great fun with a whole range of emotion I imagine! Jack is coming for lunch on Sunday or Saturday night - don't know which yet! he wants to go to the music shop in Kew though...his cold sounds fine though now, and so does he. See you soon Love Penny x
4th March 2010

lesson plans
Hi, must be frustrating at times when you have tried to prepare,but sounds as if it is going well regardless. World Cup preparations will probably take precedence over everything else, and the water supplies too, will probably get diverted to that, so none of the incomers get to realize what dire straits they may well be in. Only another week or so isn't it ? Enjoy, love H x
4th March 2010

wondering how you find supplies etc and time to make games for the classes - do you stay at the school after the children leave - it all still sounds a little disorganized...must be difficult to keep the schedule at all straight...

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb