Red Museum and another weekend


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Eastern Cape
March 2nd 2010
Published: March 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Red Museum and another weekend.

I have just reread the last entry and see that my editing is at least as bad as last time. Apolgies to the pedants!
It is Sunday night so I have packed up my bags for tomorrow. It seems to have been a full weekend now I come to reflect. On Friday night, we managed a beach walk. We saw an egret and a cormorant on the rocky beach which is to the west of the hotel. We normally walk and swim on Humewood Beach which is right in front of us and a long sweep of sand and sea.
We have seen on several occasions a local person who travels with his dog perched on the rack on the back of his bike with front paws resting on his shoulders. We are all determined to try and get a photo. Dog owners could try it. I think Pip may be too old to learn that one! On the subject of wildlife, I should mention the wagtails which seem t think they own the lounge area of the hotel and come in and hop around regularly.
All day Friday we heard police sirens going and saw the police cars rushing about. It turned out that there was big protection for the Argentinian tream Two of the group managed to get tickets to go to the rugby match on Thursday night. There is great excitement about the new stadium built World Cup.
Friday night was Marimba night after dinner. A marimba is a kind of xylophone for those like me who did not know. The excitement for us returning volunteers was that the group includes Simpiwe who works for Calabash and who we knew last time we were here. He is a community worker as well as being an established marimba player. He did remember us. He is about to do a month in the UK on a Rotary sponsored exchange at Thames Valley. He has a very powerful voice which filled the small place for entertainment here.

On Saturday we were taken by Calabash to The Red Museum. I did visit it last time but it is fascinating in focusing on the role of the area in resistance to apartheid. There are a row of columns dedicated t o important local people. The intention is to change them and record the previous people by engraving their names on the other side of the column. The other interesting feature visually and academically is the memory boxes which are constructed from corrugated iron and exhibit the reddish colour which gave the name to the area. The shacks in the area were built from a dismantled concentration camp nearby. Each memory box contains significant artifacts, photos and information to tell the story for the future. They have themes like music, arts and particular important events.

We got back in time for lunch and then went off to the beach and had a swim. It was quite wavy and there were four of us so we decided two would guard our clothes etc while the others had a swim. We didn’t want to lose all our clothes again, especially as we are managing to seem quite respectable in the hotel. Despite our care, Robin’s sunglasses were knocked off her nose in the water by a wave and could not be found. We shall look whenever we are on the beach
.

We have used the white taxi busses that the locals use a few times now an it is very easy We have several places we want to go.before we leave They drive down shouting out the direction and you flag them down. It seems to be one price - 6 rands. You bump along and then get out when you reach you desired stopping point which you can specify to the driver.

Saturday is meant to be a guitar player and dancing in the bar. The guitar player is not really bad but they don’t turn off the two screens in the bar showing sports at the same time. On Saturday night, the locals also seem to come in for a drink so we beat a retreat this time although I did manage a quick dance with one of the waiters.
Sunday
Three of the volunteers were picked up to go to church this morning. One of the teachers in the school where Lesley is volunteering inv ited her . It sounded quite interesting but went on for 3 hours. We are all invited to a gospel choir practice on Weds afternoon. There is so much music about here. Those of us left behind had promised ourselves the Sunday market. I bought a few things but it was very hot and I even got pink shoulders and neck which is unusual for me.
The teacher came back and had Sunday lunch with us and then visited the market with those who missed it in the morning. The rest of the beach lovers went and had a swim which was wonderful in the heat.


Advertisement



3rd March 2010

sounds like an interesting and fun wkend! I am a bit concerned with you dancing with random waitors - could be Hanny family honour at stake here?

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0502s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb