Day 1


Advertisement
Somalia's flag
Africa » Somalia » Somaliland » Hargeisa
December 16th 2010
Published: December 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our plane just landed at Hargeisa Egal International Airport in Hargeisa, which is in northern Somalia. The country is just east of Ethiopia on the horn of Africa. the climate here is extremely hot and arid. The bus passed a lot of goats, one of their principal exports. When the bus arrived at the hotel, I asked for something to drink and got some Shah Hawaash, which is a traditional Somali drink. Water here isn't as great as the water in the US because it's contaminated. The guy at the front desk suggested to the tourists not to drink any water unless it's bottled.


Tomorrow, I'm going to see the Laas Geel cave. The travel brochure said that it had a lot of cave paintings dating back to the BC's. Somalia has tons of sights to see, and quite a history. The former president, Abdirashid Ali Shermarke was assassinated in 1969. General Siad Barre seized power the same year. The country was placed under a military government. The new regime's foreign policy placed an emphasis on Somalia's traditional and religious links with the Arab world. Somalia eventually joined the Arab League in 1974.


Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb