Bunce Island


Advertisement
Sierra Leone's flag
Africa » Sierra Leone » Freetown
March 17th 2010
Published: March 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

AbandonedAbandonedAbandoned

En route to Bunce Island
Tuesday morning 9:30 AM: I was supposed to meet with an organization, but those plans unfortunately fell through. As I was getting ready to go to town, I get a call from a friend asking if I want to come to Bunce Island with her and some other friends. A day in the sun, on the water and a highly probable haunted island? I'M THERE!

Bunce Island was one of the forty major European commercial forts built along the West African coast during the slave trade era. This island was a meeting place for European traders and African merchants coming from all over Africa.

Around 1668, British companies started operating from this island, where they would purchase slaves, gold, ivory and the like. From about 1756, they began shipping slaves in large numbers to South Carolina and Georgia, where American rice planters paid high prices for slaves from this region. It's estimated that over 50,000 slaves were traded here, of which 15%!d(MISSING)ied on the transatlantic crossing.

During its long history, Bunce Island was attacked by pirates several times, four times by the French. It finally "closed" in 1807 when parliament prohibited the slave trade and became a
ObamaObamaObama

A pretty popular man out here!
sawmill until 1840.

This island has a lot of history, if only walls could talk! It's definitely worth a visit for those people traveling to Sierra Leone. I do recommend, however, that you make sure you travel with an OK (legitimate) boat! It took us almost two hours to get there, a trip that should have taken maybe 45-60min. And on the way back, our boat broke down because we didn't have enough petrol (among the few problems). There we were, out on the open water, for 45min before the "rescue" boat arrived. The waves were pretty rough making the five other passengers aboard our small speedboat a bit nervous. The transferring of human cargo (no pun intended haha, but that is a good book though from Caroline Moorehead) from one speedboat to the other was also interesting haha luckily everyone made it alive and ceased from falling into the dark, man-eating, shark invested abyss .............



Hahaha just kidding, it was THAT bad, but the water was choppy and we did struggle switching boats! From there, it took us another 30min or so to get back! A true adventure indeed ...







* Information paraphrased from on-site information boards and Bradt Travel Guide: Sierra Leone


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

WindowWindow
Window

Window looking into what was once the traders' quarter
Bat Cave Bat Cave
Bat Cave

Where they kept all the cargo from the ships ... now a bat cave, which smells terribly!!
ForestForest
Forest

Through the forest, off to the cemetery we go ...


19th March 2010

hmm
nice! just a question .. is 'Obama' the boat that never made it to the destination? Freudian? :)
19th March 2010

Yes Emil, I believe so .. haha
23rd March 2010

Wow spooky! vet hoor dat je daar heen bent gegaan!

Tot: 0.184s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0753s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb