Victoria, Seychelle


Advertisement
Seychelles' flag
Africa » Seychelles
March 9th 2006
Published: March 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

March 9th, 2006,
Day 63 of our cruise of 105
Spent the day at Victoria, on Ile Mahe one of 115 Seychelles Islands
It is the Hawaii of the Indian Ocean, an absolute paradise

We arrived this morning to a beautiful, clean town on peaks of lovely green trees.
Shuttled into town, bought Seychelle ruppes(by mistake) hopped a cab to the other side of the island to the nicest beach( Beau Vallon). Swam in warm salt water, came back to town for shopping and came home.
Lovely day
Now we will be three days sailing the Indian Ocean to Cochin, India.
This Seychelle Island was a great reprieve between Kenya and India.

The Seychelles are British but just recently, yet everybody speaks French and Creole. On the radio of the shuttle bus today, the announcer switched language in midstream and nobody flinched. One of the reasons for this dichotomy is that for a long time the Islands were inhabited by the French, any time a British ship would come near to conquer the territory, the French gouverneur would raise the Union Jack and the British ship would leave thus allowing the French gouverneur to return to his usual French business. This went on for more than 100 years- we sure fooled them!

Nice to hear that Michelle and Rishi are safe at home
Hello my children, hello granny.

Ttys, love to all





Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



11th March 2006

Glorious
That 'Sunset at sailaway' is , what can I say - just glorious............. We're enjoying every moment of your trip -one day perhaps........
21st April 2006

Expense
Hi, I'm also enjoying your writing; just as a matter of interest, did you find the Seychelles expensive?

Tot: 0.445s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0713s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb