Trip to Rwanda


Advertisement
Rwanda's flag
Africa » Rwanda
July 19th 2011
Published: July 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After 10 whirlwind days in Rwanda (meetings and excursions sometimes beginning 5AM until 9PM+), it was time to come home. The trip was all I wanted and much, much, much more.

Among the highlights:

We were hosted by an incredible woman (Rose Kabuye) who was a lieutenant colonel for the guerrillas fighting against the genocide, wife and mother, mayor of the capital, Kigali, member of parliament and the cabinet, and just a beautiful person. We were in a posh hotel (uniformed doorman) and had access to leaders and shakers that could never have happened individually. Our visits were to elite sites (several hundred dollars admission for biggies, plus transportation and lodging) so I had an experience I could not have had otherwise.

We visited the memorial for the nearly 1 million people who died in the genocide. The biggest impact on me here is the vivid sense of forgiveness. I have heard from dozens, and the most consistent theme is that we have to forgive to let go of the pain and to move forward.

For many hours we were on a bus, criss-crossing on roads that were usually 2 lanes of smooth, great travel (only a problem behind trucks but they waved us past quickly). I looked for and saw 2 pieces of trash (ONLY 2) on the ground the whole time.

There was a photo safari. Zebras, antelopes, impala, giraffes, and one elephant, many up close. Since the trip was for a group of teachers, we went to 8 or 10 schools. The kids are great, very eager to express their ambitions-- which are ALWAYS about helping their country succeed. We met business and government officials and innovators. One very impressive man is self-made, not very literate, partially blind. He has a string of businesses, pays all expenses for a school of 870, and wants to fund scholarships to schools like Harvard. When I asked if that was to have managers for his business, he said NO, only to have them fulfill their wishes and be leaders for the country. The head of the national museum system drove 2 hours to meet us, then had special presentations, with live cattle being lulled by music.

There are incredible accomplishments that I admire. Rwandese have a shared vision of improvement with a deep loyalty to tradition. People who were born or grew up in refugee camps until their 20s always planned to come home, and did. Women are a major part (of the cabinet, the parliament, as owners and managers of everything). They occupy nearly 50% of all top positions.

So what could top the wonderful excursions and visits? Two big ones the last full day. We were at a lodge close to the equator where it was so cold each room had a fireplace and each person got a hot water bottle. Then there was a gorilla trek. Maximum of 64 persons a day hike (from 30 minutes to 3 hours each way) to spend a hour with a family. Mine was a shorter one and we were within a few feet of the most gentle, beautiful great mammals I can imagine. The last event was at the private home of the president to hang out for an hour. What a finale!

I want to / expect a return to Rwanda. It is a transformational place. I will make contact and see how I can contribute to this beautiful story.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



20th July 2011

beautiful!
Yanick, how wonderful to be able to share a bit of your trip. You look marvelous, too. The gorilla pictures are just amazing! How close did you get?

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0739s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb