Christmas and New Year's


Advertisement
Rwanda's flag
Africa » Rwanda » Ville de Kigali » Kigali
January 10th 2010
Published: January 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Christmas was our first holiday ever away from family. We substituted great friends. On Christmas Eve, we went to a small holiday party where we partook in eggnog, hor d'oeurves, and homemade ice cream (Jennifer) and pecan pie. We watched The Grinch and then White Christmas. On Christmas day, Jennifer baked a yule log aka buche de noel, and it came out right on the second try. We headed over to Alex's boss' house for a multi-course dinner that took up most of the late afternoon. We had guacamole, turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potato pie, a bunch of vegetables, and for dessert we had chocolate mousse, pumpkin pie, and the yule log. Afterwards, we played Taboo and Apples to Apples.

New Year's week featured Alex and Jenn finally getting their house ready for guests. We invited over three couples and the Marines for a New Year's Eve party. Jennifer tried to go to the farmer's market all day (our car is still not here) and finally succeeded at 5 pm. The guests began arriving a little after 7 and dinner was not even close to being ready. Alex distracted the men with Rock Band and Call of Duty (video games) while Jennifer handed out aprons and put the women to work making different kinds of pizza. Dinner was very informal, with pizza handed out to gamers and trying to grab a slice before it was all gone. Eventually, we rounded everyone up for a fun game of Apples to Apples. At about 15 minutes until midnight, we got out a recording of the ball dropping in England in 2007. Regrettably, the recording failed with about 30 seconds to go, but we all raised our glasses and toasted 2010 together. Not knowing what other revelers were doing, we went out to the front yard which overlooks the hills of Kigali. Mostly, it was quiet with a few people cheering. At this point, we met an uninvited guest: a cat who had wandered into our yard.

Advertisement



10th January 2010

what fun
golly, it sounds like your social life is full. One question , New Years was three couples and the marines!! what does that mean--how many marines do you have?? were they there in social mode or protection? anyway it all sounded like fun, busy enough so you kids couldn't have been too lonesome. Where in the world is your car!! bet someone thinks it drives really good! Ole says Hi, he and Belle just returned from our first speedy kicksled jaunt down the road. no snow, frozen road makes for wild rides. love./grandma

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0602s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb