A Long Haul to Namibia


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Rundu
June 5th 2010
Published: June 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

June 5th

Our typical morning routine culminated in bidding farewell to two great guys that we all had the pleasure to meet and spend five weeks with, Justin and Cameron were to fly to Johannesburg, South Africa. It was sad to see them leave but that’s the way the cookie crumbles and it was nice to have met them and create a couple good friendships. Hopefully we’ll cross paths again, there is a probable chance Justin and I will rendezvous at some point in South Africa.

After saying our goodbyes the remaining eleven of us (Farron, Wendy, Nicio, Luke, Hayley, David, Kelly, Paul, Bridget, Dafydd, and I) jumped in the truck and headed for Namibia. It was going to be a long day in the truck and on the road so I kept Farron company in the cab of the truck. It was great to jam out to music with him and get the chance to chat with him for a while. The drive was boring, just really flat and the same scenery over and over, with the donkeys and cattle getting on the road and slowing us down from time to time.

But before we knew it we were at the border with Namibia, in the north-east corner of the country, (north-west corner of Botswana). It wasn’t a particularly busy border crossing so we got into Namibia pretty quickly and stopped to pick up lunch shortly after. Then we were on the road again and headed for Rundu, Namibia. The drive got a bit more exciting when we were driving alongside the Kunene River, but then we lost it after an hour or so. We met back up with it a couple hours later when we arrived at the Sarasunga Campsite, which is just across the river from Angola.

The campsite was awesome, with tons of activities to choose from at decent prices. Since we weren’t planning on leaving the next day until around noon, we had the morning to choose from canoeing, fishing, and a village tour. The sun went down shortly after our camp was setup and a simple dinner was made by a few of the group. My appetite wasn’t great and I wasn’t feeling well so after the group finished dinner I jumped in my tent to watch a movie and get a good night’s sleep. Canoeing over to Angola in the morning was my plan and I wanted to get some rest and let my ill-feeling stomach try and recover from whatever bug was in my system.

Hope you like the photos, until next time, Pura Vida!!
-Brendan



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.256s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.2016s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb