Etosha National Park, Namibia 30 and 31 August 2012


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Etosha National Park
October 3rd 2012
Published: October 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Etosha National Park, Namibia 30 and 31 August 2012











The 1st night we stayed at the eastern end of the Park at Namutoni and then drove to the other end of the Park to Okaukuejo. Namutoni is on the site of an old German fort which was burned down many years ago in a raid by the Ovambo people from the north. Today the fort is a hotel. There was also a shop where we could buy food and basic supplies.













We stopped off at Halali for a drink and and icecream. Halali is South of the pan and situated about half way between the other two rest camps. This has the most impressive floodlit water hole with a viewing platform - you can walk down after setting up camp and sit here at sunset, drink a sundowner and watch the animals come down to drink.













We were supposed to stop at Halali for lunch but when we were out on the lookout of the Etosha salt pan our truck driver, Chris, noticed we had a flat tyre so we had lunch while he changed the tyre. It was just like being back at the Atacama Desert and salt pan in Bolivia. There was white everywhere you could see + being hot, dry, sandy and salty. Everyone (particularly the English & German) was feeling the heat. We were pleased to gedt back on the truck and get to Halali.













We then drove to Okaukuejo which is at the south-western entrance to the park. There were small huts available, as well as a restaurant and pool. Georg and I decided to jump into the pool fully clothed as we were all dirty and hot. I am glad we jumped in without feeling the water because it was chilly, but beautifully refreshing after a long hot day on a game drive all day. We immediately went to the waterhole as soon as we arrived and before we set up camp. At night the waterhole was lit with flood lights so that we could sit and watch as the animals come down to drink. After looking at 5 elephants and giraffes drinking from the waterhole, as well as jackals, we went for our swim, washed our clothes, had a shower then went to dinner.

After dinner we went back to the waterhole where we saw a white rhino. He walked quietly to get a drink, listening intently for any noise. There were signs out everywhere for people to stay very quiet. This was the best layout among all the camps and the best waterhole for sitting down and watching the animals.













During this day’s drive we spotted 100s of animals everywhere – elephants, zebras, many types of antelopes etc.













Etosha (meaning ‘great white place’) National Park is a national park in the Kunene Region of northwestern Namibia. The park shares boundaries with the regions of Oshana, Oshikoto and Otjozondjupa.













There are 4 Etosha Gates which are named Otjovasandu Gate, Anderson Gate, Namutoni Gate, and Von Lindequist Gate.













Etosha was first established in 1907, when Namibia was a German colony known as South West Africa. At the time, the park’s original 100,000 km² made it the largest game reserve in the world. Due to political changes since its original establishment, the park is now slightly less than a quarter of its original area, but still remains a very large and significant area in which wildlife is protected.

Fauna and flora of the Etosha Pan dominates the park. The salt pan desert is roughly 130 km long and as wide as 50 km in places. The hypersaline conditions of the pan limit the species that can permanently inhabit the pan itself; occurrences of extremophile micro-organisms are present, which species can tolerate the hypersaline conditions. The salt pan is usually dry, but fills with water briefly in the summer, when it attracts pelicans and flamingos in particular. Perennial springs attract a variety of animals and birds throughout the year, including the endangered Black Rhino and the endemic Black-faced Impala, Wildlife that can be seen here include: Rhinos, Lions, Zebra, Giraffes, Gemsbok, Springbok, Wildebeest, Elephants, and Jackals.













In the dry season which is when we were there, winds blowing across the salt pan pick up saline dust and carry it across the country and out over the southern Atlantic. This salt enrichment provides minerals to the soil downwind of the pan on which some wildlife depends, though the salinity also creates challenges to farming.













A long fence has been erected along the park’s 850 km boundary to control the spreading of disease. The animals concentrate around the new waterholes, resulting in excessive grazing in their vicinity. Fifty waterholes have been constructed to attract animals and so improve the viewing prospect for visitors.













On our departure morning which was Saturday 1 September, and Tom’s birthday (plus Namibia was changing their time for the start of daylight saving) we got up for a 7.00am departure. It was a lovely morning, watching the sunrise, wearing our jackets and wishing Tom happy birthday. It was a wonderful way to start his birthday. The only thing I wanted to have happen is that we were in range of internet to be in touch with Kerrie and Adam so that Tom could talk to them for his birthday.





We then travelled to Damaraland which is further south.


Additional photos below
Photos: 69, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0319s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb