Namibia Day 10


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Etosha National Park
August 14th 2012
Published: August 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This was another day on the road today as we headed on to our next stop Etosha, but before we headed out we had to say goodbye to Camp Kipwe. Last night after we had gone to bed the camp was visited by one of the elephants, he is a regular caller and the camp staff have named him Oscar. When we got up this morning the only evidence that he had been around was footprints and one uprooted palm tree.

We said goodbye to new friends as we left, and headed off to our first planned stop, the petrified forest. This is an area of fossilised trees from around 1.5 million years ago. They think that they were washed down rivers from central Africa in a great flood and they were then covered in sediment and slowly the rains are exposing them for us to see today.

We needed cash today as you need to pay park entry fees cash, so our first stop was Khorixas, and our advice would be don’t bother, although we managed to refuel and buy some items in the small shop, the prices were expensive and we were unable to withdraw any money from the only cash-point we saw. We stopped again in Outjo and this was a much nicer place with working bank machines and Internet cafes where we were able to post the last two days’ worth of blogs.

We hit tarmac roads after Khorixas and we were able to make good time up to Etosha and checked in mid-afternoon. As soon as we had dropped the bags off, we headed over to the waterhole – only a very short distance from our room – where there was an elephant drinking its fill. After a quick trip to the shop for supplies and a cup of tea with our new neighbours from Halifax, we revisited the waterhole where there was a young rhino, giraffe and jackals as the sun was setting.

Not much to say about today really but after we have been round the park tomorrow I am sure we will have more to add.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 17; qc: 74; dbt: 0.0912s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb