Etosha National Park


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Etosha National Park
February 2nd 2012
Published: February 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Etosha National Park



Our first camping experience turned out to be pretty nice- the tents were easy to assemble, and the gear included mattresses for sleeping in comfort. The campground included a kitchen – with electricity, and the fire pits had amazing racks over the pit to barbeque dinner. Whew!

Jacques and Barry, our bus driver, cooked an excellent meal which included an African dish called: Braai Brooidjie. Sounds like "bry Broo-ecky"

Turns out, this is a fancy name for grilled cheese with onion and tomato- cooked over the fire. They were delicious!

The park also had the most amazing pool- which we were able to use on both days we were there.



Our wildlife adventure has certainly begun- on the drive in, we saw giraffes- about 8 of them passed by through the trees.



We took a “game drive” on the first morning. The guide- (not Jacques) stops at one spot, and points out what looks like a piece of dead tree in the distance. “ There's a lion” he says. Oh sure- we all stare at the spot- with binoculars – and did not believe him at all- till the lion stood up! Now we believe you!!! AND- not only was it the lion, but he was there with his lioness- they proceeded to give us a show- it was mating season- which they do for 5 -6 days- every 5 minutes- for 30 seconds......

hhhmmmmmm........

It remains to be seen how many times a year they get this pleasure!

I've included pictures of all the animals and birds we saw on the way.



The second day, we did another game drive, and saw the lone lioness – who is pregnant. She crossed the road right in front of the bus. It was amazing.



The last morning was the coolest event of all tho- we were woken up around 3:30 am by this animal sound that we couldn't identify. It was extremely loud. I lay in bed for a little while, listening to it and wondering if it was an elephant. Not too far from our campsite was an animal watering hole. I had the feeling that the sound was coming from there. Around 4 am, we couldn't stand it any longer, and got up quietly. We walked over to the watering hole in the dark, and were rewarded for our efforts. A femail lioness was there- she walked from one side to the other, “roaring” and grunting all the way. I never would have guessed the sound we heard was from a lion!!!! No pics I'm afraid, as it was dark and our camera had been left on the bus for the night anyway! Darn!



We spent two nights in the park- it was a wonderful experience- much better than I had anticipated!


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

BUGS!BUGS!
BUGS!

Never mind a millidpede, this must be a tribillipede!
Kori BusterdKori Busterd
Kori Busterd

Largest African flying BIrd
FalconFalcon
Falcon

Not sure of the exact name, but he was eating his road kill.
Kori BusterdKori Busterd
Kori Busterd

Papa and a baby
Etosha NP 094Etosha NP 094
Etosha NP 094

Check out the horns!
Etosha NP 117Etosha NP 117
Etosha NP 117

This guy would be amazing at "mooning"!
Red HartebeestRed Hartebeest
Red Hartebeest

His horns form a heart shape


Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb