Background: South Africa occupied the German colony of South-West Africa during World War I and administered it as a mandate until after World War II, when it annexed the territory. In 1966 the Marxist South-West Africa People's Organization (SWAPO) guerrilla group launched a war of independence for the area that was soon named Namibia, but it was not until 1988 that South Africa agreed to end its administration in accordance with a UN peace plan for the entire region. Namibia won its independence in 1990 and has been governed by SWAPO since. Hifikepunye POHAMBA was elected president in November 2004 in a landslide victory replacing Sam NUJOMA who led the country during its first 14 years of self rule.
Photos from Cape Cross
Blogs from Cape Cross
Latest Blogs from Cape Cross
- April 14th 2012 Skeletons on the Skeleton Coast
by Words: 714 Photos: 92
- July 31st 2010 Truck Trip - Bush Camp Wedding
by Words: 414 Photos: 17
- May 3rd 2009 Seal of approval
by Words: 269 Photos: 9
- January 13th 2009 Skeleton Coast
by Words: 0 Photos: 6
- November 24th 2008 Cape Cross Seal Colony
by Words: 323 Photos: 0
- July 18th 2008 Wasting no opportunities!
by Words: 947 Photos: 11
- June 13th 2008 The Stinky Seals
by Words: 88 Photos: 11
- June 15th 2007 Cape Cross - Stinky Cape Fur Seals
by Words: 72 Photos: 0
- May 11th 2007 Smelly Seals!
by Words: 164 Photos: 4