Mozambique


Advertisement
Mozambique's flag
Africa » Mozambique » Southern » Maputo
June 26th 2010
Published: June 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hello hello!
It is hard to believe we have been in Mozambique for a whole week! I cant report that we have done anything specifically profound. One afternoon we went to the fish market (pix to be posted to this blog eventually) and got fresh fish. It was a bit of a hustle market though so we were not free to browse or roam. Still it was a good experience. I got a large kingfish and a small tuna for 100 meticais (3 bucks) and they cooked and cleaned it for another 100 met. Laura got a plate of prawns aka shrimps. We have been enjoying working on Laura's vehicle safety blog although the wireless internet is hard to find here.
Weve been staying at Fatimas backpackers and def recommend it if anyone is thinking of visiting.

OBSERVATIONS: Mozambique is 172 of 180 countries on the UNs human development initiative. It only gained independence around the US bicentennial (1976) when the Portuguese left. It abandoned its Marxist-Leninist planning just 15 years ago after their civil war concluded in the early 1990s. All the streets are revolutionary named... A few of my fav street names: Avenue Mao Tse Dung, Avenue Karl Marx, Friedrich Engles street, Kim Il Sung Avenue, Vladimir Lenin Street and more fun ones!

SOCCAR-LODGING: We are down to the last 15 teams alive for the World Cup. We are going to the USA-Ghana game at a sports pub later today with our Couchsurfee. Do you guys remember all of those random people we have hosted over the years when they couch surfed with us? Now we are couch surfing at other peoples houses. Laura and I were looking at Maputo couches and we found this one of Kristy, a Peacecorp person. She has been very hospitable and has a wonderful 4 bedroom place near the American Embassy. It really has been a refuge for us as she has Vongage (to call the US for free), Internet, and CNN (and cable).. I am so in heaven! We also washed our clothes for the first time in a month and I am smelling quite nice if I do say so myself!

NEXT UP: Heading to Swaziland on Monday. There is supposed to be wireless there... So talk to you soon! We'll head to Lesotho next weekend before heading down to the South African Coast. Hope all is well. Feel free to email or facebook me as well.


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



29th June 2010

Interesting
Hey guys, It's great to follow your travel stories and learn from your experiences. Mozambique sounds particularly interesting. Send some pics. BTW did I mention that DC is boiling with temp soaring to 110F. You guys are lucky to be out of here. Love Pahuna

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0181s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb