Moz


Advertisement
Mozambique's flag
Africa » Mozambique » Southern » Inhambane
January 4th 2011
Published: January 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

An unforgettable adventure



Mozambique has the most romantic sunsets and gorgeous beaches. Even though pictures often seen of Mozambique look idyllic and picturesque there is a lot more to the country than that. What you won’t know is the experiences that make the trip unique... from potholed roads to dodgy public toilets to interesting markets and being guilt tripped into buying curios and bracelets by the bagful. But then that is where the adventure really is, isn't it?



Our first trip to Mozambique (April 2008) will always be the most memorable for me... it felt like it took us forever to get there... we drove from Cape Town to Johannesburg, and stayed over with friends, and from there across the border to Mozambique and stayed in Casa Lisa just outside of Maputo. The accommodation is minimal, but the food is good and there is a lovely swimming pool for a late night dip! From there we drove up to Inhambane....yes three days driving!


Inhambane is a stunning place...the coast line is magnificent! We could never have expected it to be so perfect. The weather played along beautifully and we had many long days wallowing in the warm sea...snorkelling and eating seafood to our hearts content. The colourful fish and beautiful seashells, the baking hot sand in the middle of the day and the smell of that fresh salty sea air....truly a little piece of paradise! If you have a boat, you can explore reefs along the coastline and find the perfect snorkelling spot! If you like tanning, the beach is immense and wide. If you like a bit of action, Barra lodge does diving and boat trips. And if you like a bit f a party, there are many beach bars dotted along the way.....



The accommodation (Montanna Lodge - Self catering wooden cabins) was perfect and had everything from a big kitchen and veranda on which we spend most breakfasts, lunches and suppers and anything in between. There were two bathrooms and even an outdoor shower. The beds all had mozzie nets and we very comfortable. We stayed in Inhambane....we explored the markets and the town and even took a drive out to Tofo.....but staying in one place for long enough helps you to relax and unwind and feel like we really were far away from everyday life.....to me that is what made my first trip to Mozambique so memorable.....I truly felt calm and happy!


The second trip to Mozambique was a little more adventurous in a way. We followed the same path as the first time, however due to bad weather we had a hair-raising time navigating through Maputo in the dark.....not for the faint hearted!!

This time round we stayed in Tofo for the first half of the trip (Albatross Lodge- Self catering) which was up the hill from the beach and the market and right near to a restaurant which made buying 2M (local beer) much easier. The snorkelling was awesome and we found a spot of shallow reef while the tide went out and spend an entire day looking and trying to identify fish. The market had everything you wanted to buy, from fresh vegetables to beer to bracelets and clothing. The locals were friendly, although the kids get a bit pushy trying to get money out of you. The best part of Tofo for me was swimming with whale sharks! These immensely huge creatures are really shy and timid despite their size and swimming above them is a humbling experience. Something I will definitely do again and something I will never regret!


From there we headed south again but stopped at the lakes in Bilene for the last part of the holiday. Again the weather decided not to play along and we had very bad wind and rain for the most part of the drive and two days at the lakes. The lakes are nice if you don’t want to snorkel or fish or do anything but lay around….but most of us suddenly realised how stunning Tofo really was.

Soon after that we were headed home. Mozambique will still be a place that is full of colour and adventure and excitement for me. There is definitely something for everyone there and it is still one of the best places I’ve ever experienced!




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0792s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb