Day 7


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Souss-Massa-Draâ » Ouarzazate
November 12th 2010
Published: November 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 7
We left behind Erfoud today and headed towards Ouarzazate, it's pronounced almost like 'what was that'

We've been joking about it for a bit now, we've been told we're not far from Tim buck Too...lol...

We had a beautiful spot for lunch in the Dades Valley, there was a neat restaurant right in the middle of the Gorges of the Dades, and we all walked over wooden planks to cross over the river to be able to enter into the restaurant. The views were very impressive....and the temperature was a bit chilly, 15 degrees maybe.

Along our way we stopped a few times for photos, one of them was at a small village where they had many hand dug wells. They are all about 70 feet deep. The town had with a few locals wondering around trying to sell us things. It has happened a fair number of times now that the men want to put the head scarf on Sue as they think she looks Moroccan because her Berber eyes.

The women dress different here, most have a white large scarf that they cover their heads with. Very interesting seeing how they change as we travel south in Morocco.

We learned today about what the locals get paid.
2000 dirham’s per month is the minimum wage....$245.00 per month

A Hotel manager would earn 50,000-60,000 dirham a month which would include housing and food. They pay very well in tourism. ...so that's around $6737.00 per month

An average worker would earn 4000-6000 dirham per month...$612.00 per month.

We arrived at the Ibis Hotel in Ouarzazate and had some time to stroll the streets. This town was much different than any of the others, it's considered their Hollywood. Most of the films have been made using this area of Morocco.
Many movies that may not say it's Morocco but it is, Sex In the City 2 as all done here, Gladiator, Blackhawk down, Kingdom of Heaven, Prince of Persia and many others.

We enjoyed a great supper and called it a night. Must add we're eating much later here then at home, about 7:30 we head for supper but we're not done until 9-930pm



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb