Fun and games in the Sahara


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Souss-Massa-Draâ » M'Hamid
November 21st 2012
Published: November 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

My first windsurf in Morocco was the best windsurf session I ever experienced, I went (normal) surfing for the first time that morning and the wind had been building the entire time. It really kicked in at 3 pm, I had an instructor come out with me - the waves were at least 2 m and a rather steep learning curve to say the least! I spent the next day surfing and headed back to Marrakech that evening as the forecast was pants for the next week. Plus, I wanted to go to the desert...

I had an allergic reaction to some yet unknown substance with swollen lips, eyes etc after Essaouira, but quickly had it diagnosed and sorted in Marrakech. Would not recommend it!

A crazy bus ride took us (Me, Mitch, Nadia & Liam) from Marrakech to Ourzazate, just past the atlas mountains. We were heading to the Sahara. The roads were very high, narrow and filled with fast moving lorries, as we made tracks through the highest mountains in this part of the continent. I enjoyed every bit 😊 Upon arriving we had no idea where we might end up and the only option turned out to be a decent priced room at hotel 'Nadia' (yup, complete coincidence!).

Our hosts were keen to take us on a less well troden sahara adventure, with our own 4x4! Initially we had been considering a cheaper tour as part of a group but after some 20 mins of hard fought haggling we agreed on a very reasonable price and would be departing early in the morning. We set off with our driver Driss (quite the funny character) who stopped off often for pictures and gave plenty of info about the sights throughout. After 7 hours of driving we arrived at our campsite next to some actual sand dunes! After a funny camel ride we settled down for the evening with great food, music and watched the most incredible nights sky for hours.

I slept well (hard not to when in the sahara - soooo quiet!) and as we set off for our second camp, the magic of the sahara started to really take hold. The terrain seemed to echo recent pictures from the surface of Mars, with instead the deepest blue sky imaginable. As 100 m high dunes came into view we pulled into our second camp with nearly a full day to roam the dunes. After spectacular tagine for dinner we watched an even clearer nights sky and agreed that the Sahara is rather special.

After a huge drive the next day, we arrived at Taghazout - essentially a surfers paradise. We had an apartment on the beach within 2 mins of arriving and took a little time to process the last few days. Great fun surfing the last 2 days, the swell is building here so Laird Hamilton watch out!

Advertisement



2nd December 2012

Steve's Holiday
Great to hear you're having a good time Stevie with lots of experiences - so you're in the sahara- live life to the full and enjoy - you are only young once! It's colder here now and the rain has stopped, I'm clearing the last fallen leaves today.. Love Ann John and Suki

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb