Background: In 788, about a century after the Arab conquest of North Africa, successive Moorish dynasties began to rule in Morocco. In the 16th century, the Sa'adi monarchy, particularly under Ahmad AL-MANSUR (1578-1603), repelled foreign invaders and inaugurated a golden age. In 1860, Spain occupied northern Morocco and ushered in a half century of trade rivalry among European powers that saw Morocco's sovereignty steadily eroded; in 1912, the French imposed a protectorate over the country. A protracted independence struggle with France ended successfully in 1956. The internationalized city of Tangier and most Spanish possessions were turned over to the new country that same year. Morocco virtually annexed Western Sahara during the late 1970s, but final resolution on the status of the territory remains unresolved. Gradual political reforms in the 1990s resulted in the establishment of a bicameral legislature in 1997. Parliamentary elections were held for the second time in September 2002 and municipal elections were held in September 2003.
Photos from Rabat-Salé-Zemmour-Zaer
Blogs from Rabat-Salé-Zemmour-Zaer
Latest Blogs from Rabat-Salé-Zemmour-Zaer
- January 31st 2013 Goodbyes
by Words: 474 Photos: 0
- January 23rd 2013 On the road AGAIN!!! (Rabat to Ain Cheggag)
by Words: 475 Photos: 15
- January 20th 2013 Finally... we see Rabat!!!
by Words: 609 Photos: 74
- January 19th 2013 Moroccan CRASH COURSE like none other!!!
by Words: 726 Photos: 3
- January 16th 2013 2 days melt into 1 as we cross the ocean… We have arrived in the fabulous Kingdom of Morocco!!!
by Words: 1448 Photos: 42
- January 7th 2013 Rabat and Sale - walled citadels and modern trams
by Words: 814 Photos: 22
- December 30th 2012 My culture paper on virginity...
by Words: 3356 Photos: 0
- November 23rd 2012 Eid al Shkr and ONE MONTH LEFT and virginity in Morocco!
by Words: 924 Photos: 0
- November 19th 2012 The baby has arrived!
by Words: 209 Photos: 0
- November 14th 2012 Truck stop!
by Words: 104 Photos: 2
- October 30th 2012 Eid Mubarak
by Words: 886 Photos: 0
- October 23rd 2012 Chefchaouen
by Words: 759 Photos: 0
- October 4th 2012 Some random Moroccan things!
by Words: 236 Photos: 0
- September 21st 2012 First Course Over!
by Words: 631 Photos: 0
- September 9th 2012 Weekend Craziness
by Words: 561 Photos: 0
- September 7th 2012 Cats, Cards, and Kids
by Words: 437 Photos: 0
- September 5th 2012 Homestay
by Words: 228 Photos: 0
- September 4th 2012 Orientation in Rabat
by Words: 296 Photos: 0
- September 1st 2012 leaving for morocco tomorrow!
by Words: 44 Photos: 0
- July 31st 2012 Rabat
by Words: 646 Photos: 27