SPECIAL EDITION: The Amazing Race- Travel Guild style!!!!


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz
November 7th 2011
Published: November 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Our Amazing Race teamOur Amazing Race teamOur Amazing Race team

Carol, Linda, Othmar, Brenda, Roger and me (in disguise, LOL)
Hey everyone - we had the most 'amazing' day yesterday in Marrakech!!!!! No pun intended -

But, we had a special event planned for the passengers and we had a blast. I am a fan of the show "The Amazing Race" and this particular event (a Treasure Hunt, actually) reminded me of that show - many of us thought about the show.

The concept was to get into different teams - of 5 people each - choose a group leader, pick your team color, get your team bag and head to the Medina (the market in the square) and begin the adventure. We all got our 'road map' booklets - giving us specific directions to do, and find and buy, different things in the market. One of our challenges was the language (no different than on the Amazing Race) - another challenge was 'the help' - unauthorized team guides appearing out of nowhere (they are used to tourists in the square) - we had a really creepy guy following our team and it took a while to dump him! He was obnoxious, rude and loud.

Ok, so that being said, off we went - on a mission to win. We were all given a certain amount of money, a disposable Kodak camera, the booklet with the different steps to take, a pen, emergency telephone number.........and a bag to carry the 'stuff'.

You will see from the photos that the activities were quite diverse - from going into a spice souk area where we had to identify (with eyes closed) certain spices in a jar (by smelling them) - Brenda was our winning team member for this. We had to find a necklace at the wood working souk - and a Fatima's hand - CHECK! Then, we had to go to the dye crafter's souk - identify different colors of dyes and have a unique picture taken. (see my Facebook page) Then, we had to find a souk with shoes of many different colors - too fun. We had to figure out our clues, complete an anagram and so many other fun things.

One of the other activities was to get 1) an original and funny picture and 2) an original and artistic photo - we split a gut laughing. Great way to get to know each other!

Once complete - we had some free time to roam around the market and we had a blast doing that. You will see, from the photos here, all the different things we saw - from different food carts to snakes on the ground (ewwww!).

There was a ton of laughter - great sharing - lots of learning - and we saw a lot of different souks throughout the market. We were very lucky to have this experience because, again, it was the holiest of holy days.

NOTE -

THE RESULTS ARE IN.........WE KNOW THE WINNERS OF THE RACE.......it's the 'Black Bandits" (but now that they are the smug winners - they are changing their name to The Black Beauties!!!!).

The winning team included: Gail Schatzlein, Mary DeSanto, Robynn Nierop, Liz Arbour and Elizabeth Hopkins and the .......tag along........Ben Nierop.

Some of the photos show the happy faces of the winners as they were announced on the plane today.

(And to end this happy segment, we want to include a special note......to a special 'subscriber" - Denise .....otherwise known as Shenene.

We would like to say a special hello and we're thinking of you during your recovery and Mary will see you soon. Missin' ya!)

With that - good night all - Good night, Mom - I love you, miss you and can't wait to see you soon!

Happy Pat


Additional photos below
Photos: 73, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



10th November 2011

Amazing Race - Travel Guild Style
Must have been a blast!! I love Amazing Race. Congrats to the Black Beauties!! Safe trip home everyone!
11th November 2011

the end of the great trip
Brenda giving instructions.....did she have that pointer finger out again??...forgive her, it's an old habit !
15th November 2011

Holiday by proxy!
Having previously visited many of your ports of call it has been fantastic to share you experiences via your blog. Thank you for bringing back such wonderful memoris!
3rd December 2011

A little late, but....
I know you've been back for a little while already but I'm still looking through some of these at work. I have to ask - is that a blue sock hanging off your head??

Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 71; dbt: 0.1055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb