No reservations


Advertisement
Published: May 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We need objects to remind us of the commitments we've made. That carpet from Morocco reminds us of the impulsive, freedom-loving side of ourselves we're in danger of losing touch with. Beautiful furniture gives us something to live up to. All designed objects are propaganda for a way of life.” Alain de Botton


We arrived in Marrakesh in the late afternoon, we have 2 nights here with the tour. and 4 more with no reservations. After a fiasco at the tour hotel we finally taxied to another for one night only .. or so we thought. After a quick check in we headed to the main square Djemaa el-Fna for a feast for the eyes as well as the stomach. We ended our evening on the rooftop of Hotel Tazi. Back at the hotel the next morning we packed up and headed to our hotel, but that was not to be either and by midafternoon our guide has transfered all our bags back to the first. We had our final dinner at another rooftop returant in the medina.

Isa recommended a riad close to the main square and we booked 3 nights there after dinner. Our time in Marrakesh quickly fell into a routine. Breakfast, a historcal sight, tea on a rooftop and afternoons in the souks. The main square with it's smoke, smells of delishoius dishes and music beconed us night after night. We charged into Dantes inferno to enjoy the sights and the sounds, ending each night at Hotel Tazi's rooftop. Some of our friends were still in town & we met for dinner or in the square.


Wed we left town.We left on the train to Casablanca. met a guy traveling to a new job and a girl studying medicine. we had a great conversation and settled town in Ibis hotel next to the train station. Not much there so we enjoyed the english Tv and the resturant. The next day we left Morocco. As I reflect on this trip I think about all the new things we learned the history and culture and the tastes we have taken home, mint tea, colorful decor , appreciation for old style crafts and new friends around the world. We have new carpets and appreciation for how they were made, a new understanding of another country and how the people are. Morocco is not just another notch in our travel belt, but another understanding of the world.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb