IMAGES OF MALI...ROCK & ROLLING IN DOGON COUNTRY...DJIGUIBOMBO, KANI KOMBOLE & TELI


Advertisement
Mali's flag
Africa » Mali » Dogon Country » Bandiagara
March 12th 2011
Published: March 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

IMAGES OF MALI...ROCK & ROLLING IN DOGON COUNTRY

...DJIGUIBOMBO, KANI KOMBOLE & TELI



Rated 4th Best Trek in the World by Lonely Planet on TV before we left...expectations were high...and wow...it delivered.

We had four days & nights of clear weather in early January...four days treking...four days stopping at a village for a dance or a cup of tea...another for lunch with siesta...then another for dinner...for sleeping on mud rooves...or inside if you dare...

...and four nights of partying with locals & other travellers.

Starting at Bandiagara, the local capital, we hit the red dirt and rock along a dusty road to Djiguibombo, a rock upon rock ancient village on that massive rock ledge on the top of the escarpment or falaise...

Then down the cliffs on a well worn but precipitous path... as laden women were coming up returning from market...to the flat dusty floor below...to Kani Kombole nestled in a grove of baobab trees...where fires would flash against the cliff face or its' mud mosque...donkeys braying and constant drumming...and dancing with the locals by torch light.

Up early to trek in the cooler part of the day...loading our packs on a cart
for Edward and his cow...a well worn track heading north, dusty like walking on a beach of talcum sand...through dry fields along the cliff face...and yonder is Teli...wow...I can see the tombs, circumcision sites and graneries in the cliff face...climbing up for a closer look...way up overlooking the sprawling mud village...dancing to the accompaniment of two two stringed guitars or ngonis...the locals watch on...and join in...one after another...and cheer us on as we boogie out of there to the next village.

"Bon bon" or "cuddle" as kids' hands reach out throughout Mali..."Ca va" suffices for greetings...and its no different in Dogon Country...so Tanya with the whistle lollies had to pick times when there were scant children around...but when the kids blew the whistles...others would come...from behind rocks, a field or falling out of trees so as to not miss out...so with Tanya as Pied Piper we snaked our way forward.

Welcome to Dogon Country...

Enjoy & Relax...

Dancing Dave (who danced up & down the Falaise of Dogon Country on his way to Timbuktu!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

DJIGUIBOMBODJIGUIBOMBO
DJIGUIBOMBO

Mud Thatched Granaries and Rock Walls
DESCENDING THE FALAISEDESCENDING THE FALAISE
DESCENDING THE FALAISE

Rock & more rock...
KANI KOMBOLEKANI KOMBOLE
KANI KOMBOLE

After 1 1/2 hours descending the falaise...we enter a grove of baobab trees on the floor below...
ROOFTOP LIVINGROOFTOP LIVING
ROOFTOP LIVING

Eat on one roof, sleep on another...stars asplendour...
APPROACHING TELI...APPROACHING TELI...
APPROACHING TELI...

What can I see in the cliffs?


27th March 2011

great commentary & the photos...wow! I'd be back there in a flash...
27th March 2011

great commentary & the photos...WOW! I'd be there in a flash...thanks Dancing Dave for your take on Dogon Country
29th March 2011

Great photos
What memories - cold and wet here in HoiAn and when I look at these photos and remember how hot it was when we were climbing up to that village. Keep them coming. Ros

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb