Monday market


Advertisement
Mali's flag
Africa » Mali » Centre » Djenné
November 19th 2007
Published: November 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Next on our itinerary was the Monday Market in the city of Djenne. The city is famous for having the largest mud structure in the world (the mosque of course) and a very large market on Mondays. It was here that we've seen more tourists than we have anywhere in West Africa. Literally every tourist in Mali must have arrived in Djenne at the same time to see the Monday Market.

To be quite honest, after wandering the market for a while, we were both a little disappointed in what the market had to offer. With all the hype surrounding it, we've been through much larger and better markets than this one elsewhere in West Africa (even in Mali). I suppose this is where we realise that we've been a bit spoiled by the places we've been to and the things we've seen so far. Many people travel to Mali and the Djenne market is the highlight of their trip. For us, it just seemed fairly ordinary. It was however a great place to photograph the market scene because in most other places photography is not well received by the locals. Here they were quite accepting to photos, perhaps because of the large number of tourists that pass through.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Our tentOur tent
Our tent

Or rather mosquito net...
Tent cityTent city
Tent city

Not our tents. They belonged to a group of German tourists that stomped in at 10pm Sunday night and left at 7am the next morning to see the market.


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb