Return to mzuzu


Advertisement
Malawi's flag
Africa » Malawi » Northern » Nkhata Bay
June 13th 2010
Published: June 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

StuckStuckStuck

this is the transport stuck in the middle of the road, the ditch was the only way around
After checking out of our rooms In morning, we stayed most of the day laying in the sun on the floating platform on the lake. After noon we had to catch a mini bus leaving for Mzuzu, ‘Blackie’ the dog from the previous day followed us all the way to the bus bay. We embarqued on our minibus, this one I named the ‘mini bus that could’. This beat up hunk of junk was a 16 passenger van filled with 21 adults plus a kid in it. The back door had to be tied down in order to be kept shut and the side door fell off when we arrived in Mzuzu. Going up the mountains it had to be put into first gear and it climbed at about a speed of 5km/h. Going up the road we came to a dead stop when we found a transport truck stuck in the ditch (again), but this time its trailer blocked the entire road, so the only way around was going through the side of the ditch. We had to wait for a coach line bus coming through the other direction. One could only close his eyes when this bus was balancing on two wheels tilting and tipping about to fall over in the ditch. Miraculously it made it through, and all the bus’s passengers cheered and rushed back on their bus. I was happy to see that the passengers got off their bus before it attempted to maneuver around the transport truck. Then it was our turn to get of our minibus and watch it struggle its way up the hill and around the transport in the ditch…, once it made it around the truck, it continued all the way up the hill so that it wouldn’t stall. We had a descent walk up the hill to make it back to our bus. Once on, it was smooth sailing all the way to Mzuzu.

Advertisement



24th June 2010

transit
You are a brave soul Justin. I am proud of you.
24th June 2010

Hearing from you
I am so happy to hear from you. Keep the blogs coming
26th June 2010

Nous sommes fiers de toi Justin!
Salut Justin, Wow que c'est intéressant tes "blogs"! J'adore la géographie! Qu'elle belle expérience pour toi! J'espère que tes parents passent de belles vacances à Terre-Neuve et Saint-Pierre et Miquelon. On a hâte qu'ils arrivent pour jouer du golf ensemble et ramasser des fraises/ bleuets. J'adore le golf, sur la semaine, je joue avec Sharon P. et ses amies et la weekend avec Danny. En passant, Mark va beaucoup mieux, il a terminé ses traitement deux semaines passés et il monte la pente. Michelle va bien, elle aime beaucoup sa job d'été. Deux jours à Saint-Stephen (Ganong) et 3 jours ici. Elle est vraiment gâté. Elle a été à "Queen University" avec un groupe de UNB et ils ont conduit, maintenant elle trouve Saint-Stephen proche et se lamante plus. Ha! Mathieu et Tessa arrive la fin juillet pour dix jours. Miguel, son cousin, se mari ici à Fredericton, nous avons hâte de les voir de nouveau. Bonne chance dans tes aventures en Afrique. Je me trouve chanceuse de suivre ton blog. Je vais tout de suite donner le site à Michelle avant j'oublie. Bonne fin de semaine...
26th June 2010

Comment ça va?
Hey Justin maintenant que j'ai le temps de lire tes bogs interessants, tu n'en produis pas. Je trouve ton aventure facinante et mouvante. J'apprends tellement. Donne moi de tes nouvelles. avec amour et respect Julie

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb