Lake Of Stars Indeed!!!


Advertisement
Malawi's flag
Africa » Malawi » Lake Malawi
September 16th 2007
Published: September 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

DJ Yoda: ‘Lake of Stars was without doubt one of the most memorable shows I’ve ever played. I’d thoroughly recommend it to anyone up for an adventure and a laugh.’



The Lake of Stars Festival was brought to life by Will Jameson, one of the founder members of Liverpool club night Chibuku. Will discovered the beautiful country of Malawi whilst volunteering in his gap year and knew instantaneously that when he next returned, it would be for a reason; and so the Lake Of Stars festival was born. The event, which has now become an annual occurrence, aims to raise the profile of what is a beautiful but poor country. The people of Malawi truly are the biggest asset; with the country being described as “The warm heart of Africa”, and this is evident in the amazingly friendly reception given to those lucky enough to travel to the country. The picturesque Chinteche Inn on the shore of Lake Malawi is the setting for the festival itself, which over the course of three days sees an eclectic mix of the world’s finest DJs and bands come together to perform in the heart of Africa.

The festival truly is an international affair with a like-minded crowd from all over Europe and Africa joining forces to have a good time. 2004 saw Andy Cato from Groove Armada flown over to rapturous reception, with Felix B from Basement Jaxx and DJ Yoda headlining the UK acts in 2005.

Alongside these are some of Malawi’s best performers, which in previous years have included the Black Missionaries, a 10-piece reggae band; Malawi’s biggest music star, the jazz performer Wambali; Tikhu Vibrations, a Malawi fusion reggae band; and the hip hop act, Real Elements. The 2006 festival is set to follow in these footsteps with some very special guests to be announced.

Festival-goers from the UK are encouraged to spend time in the country before or after the festival in order to sample some of Malawi’s many activities. With around nine national parks and 45,000 square miles of breathtakingly stunning landscape, there is so much more to Malawi than first meets the eye. Money raised through the event goes towards charitable projects in Malawi, such as the Children In The Wilderness project, a Malawian based fund set up to help children orphaned by HIV/AIDS primarily’
For many the festival is the focal point of travelling around this beautiful country, forming part of an itinerary spanning what Malawi has to offer.

LINE-UP SO FAR…

Gilles Peterson (BBC Radio 1/Worldwide)
Annie Mac (BBC Radio 1)
Rob da Bank (BBC Radio 1/Bestival)
Malawian acts to be announced
Joe Driscoll — live
Stuart Patterson (Faith)
The Black Missionaries – live
The Wombats – live
Mulletover (London)
Chibuku Shake Shake (London/Liverpool)
Dirty Disco (Leeds)
Chew the Fat! (London)
Bodytonic (Dublin)
Horse Meat Disco (London)
Wax: On (Newcastle)
Ste Hodge (Common Ground
Pierre-Estienne (South Africa)
Shaun Duvet (South Africa))
The Real Estate Agents – live (South Africa)
Dexterity (South Africa)
Damian (South Africa)
Plus many more

For more information on the festival Tickets, cheapest flights accomodation and local transportation i'd recommend Bonvoyage Tours who offer a great customer care service that puts one's mind at ease!
Their e-mail is: bonvoyage@malawi.net

Try them out.. you'll see for yourself mate!





Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb