Lake Malawi


Advertisement
Malawi's flag
Africa » Malawi » Lake Malawi » Kandi Beach
September 30th 2009
Published: October 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

We spent a few days by Lake Malawi, which was incredible. The lake is so big that it looks like the sea, because you can't see the other side of it, and there are waves. The only difference is that is it fresh water, so much nicer to swim in! The first night was spent at Chitimba beach, were a few of us went for a walk to a clothes market but never really made it because we got distracted by loads of wee children to ran out to see us and hold our hands and get swung upside down between us. They loved getting their photos taken and looking at themselves on our camera. It was an incredible and unexpected half hour!

Our next night was further south in Kande Beach, which had it's own private section of the beach. We all got up at 5am to have a swim to watch the sunrise, as it is apparently like swimming in 'liquid gold'. However, there was a bit too much haze, and the liquid gold never happened, even though we were in the water for a full hour, freezing!!

I went on a village and school tour that morning - it was incredible how many children went to one tiny school - 500 kids with only 4 or 5 teachers. Then in the afternoon 12 of us hired some pedalos and pedalled out to a tiny island just off the coast. The island had a great cliff for jumping off, and we did some snorkelling too - there were some amazing electric blue coloured fish.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb