ISP Project Proposal


Advertisement
Madagascar's flag
Africa » Madagascar » Antananarivo
November 2nd 2008
Published: November 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Assessing conflict between synanthropic bats and people in Moramanga Bat Communities in Civil Service Buildings: Population size, frequency, and Human Relations

I will be studying the free-tailed bats (Molossidae)that roost in public buildings, particularly schools and hospitals, in the eastern town of Moramanga. The objective of the study is to determine what buildings are inhabited by bat colonies, and the perception of the local people to the bats. The study will help to determine the extent of the problem (if one exists) the bat populations pose to the community. I will be working with the Malagasy organization called Madagasikara Voakajy (www.madagasikara-voakajy.org).

In 2007, Madagasikara Voakajy was alerted about a bat problem in the Ambahibe Primary School in Moramanga where teachers complained about the large colony of free-tailed bats that roost above the classrooms. The stench from the bat population is both a disturbance and a potential health problem for the students. The extent to which other schools in the town have similar problems has yet to be assessed. The health risks posed to people from inhaling spores of histoplasmosis from bat faeces every day are very real. The possibility of this same problem existing in health-care facilities is an alarming possibility where further study should be devoted. I aim to identify the locations of the bat colonies and develop an understanding about how the people who use the buildings perceive and interact with the bats. The question we will initially be answering: How many buildings have colonies of molossids? Limiting the survey to only include schools, health centres, hospitals and government offices, a population count will also be conducted in the buildings with the highest determined priority. This leads to the question of ‘In how many of these identified buildings are the bat populations considered a health threat or nuisance?’ This will be judged on a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being a beautiful life of harmony and 10, high threat to life. Also, discovering the measures that have been taken or proposed to solve the problem in each building will be investigated. The next question of ‘Why are the bat populations in these buildings?’ looks at the architectural construction and the age of the building. The rate of faecal deposition and identification of the species will also be determined. To answer these questions I will be working with Noromampiandra Razafindrakoto, an employee of Madagasikara Voakajy. I will be trained in how to conduct research surveys and interviews with officials and daily residents of the fore-mentioned buildings. Population surveys will be conducted with tally-counters as the bat colony departs from the building at sundown to feed. Plastic sheets will be set down for the measurement of faecal deposition, and bat captures will be used to identify the species of free-tailed bat.

Bibliographical Resources:

Jenkins, Richard. “Request for Assistance to Ameliorate a Bat-Human Conflict in Madagascar.”

J.L. Eger and L. Mitchel. “Chiroptera, Bats.” The Natural History of Madagascar. Goodman, S. M. and Benstead, J.P. (Eds_, pp. 1287-1298. University of Chicagor Press.

Logistics:
Traveling to Moramanga with Madagasikara Voakajy vehicle, 3rd November
3rd-21st November, working Moramanga town, accommodation in Madagasikara Voakajy office
Traveling back to Tana via Taxi-Brousse, 21st November
Antananarivo November 21-27, accommodation in Madagasikara Voakajy office
Flying out of Tana to Fort Dauphin November 28

Communication by phone: 03 26 25 64 74


Advertisement



Tot: 0.32s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb