1-0 Liberia


Advertisement
Liberia's flag
Africa » Liberia
July 23rd 2010
Published: July 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

We had another great day at the orphanage... this time with sunscreen. The children seemed alot more comfortable with us and we with them. The younger kids seemed to choose one of us and then held onto our hands for the rest of the day. Thanks for all the ideas, we tried out a variety of games and the kids seemed to enjoy the change.

After the orphanage we headed to a soccer game. It hasn't been publicized much (for fear of riots) but starting today there is a tournament this weekend with the Liberian Team, Ghanian Team and the Team from Guinea (Guinean?). We saw Guinea versus Liberia and it was quite an experience. Tickets were about 3 dollars and were printed on computer paper with clip-art graphics. We walked in past security that consisted of 10 UN officials with Ak-47s, some Liberian National Police Officers with twigs (switches if we want to be formal), a guy that had on a Karate suit with a black belt, and finally what appeared to be a boyscout. It was bizarre. In the stadium we chose our own seats: midfield and close and patiently waited for the game to begin. Scheduled for 4, it began promptly at 5. Through the course of the game we saw a lizard, a dog, a man, and a fire truck running near the field (the spectators were seperated with a wire fence from the field so I have no idea how anything else got by). Referees were brought on by men in riot gear, presumably to protect them, and players had no guards at all. After the game ended we headed outside and found all the players walking to their minivan to leave. We took some great pictures. It was nothing like a game Ive ever attended in the states and Liberia won 1-0!

Now for Independance Day Weekend. Wish me luck!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb