East London RSA to Hilton KZN via Ramatsiliso and Sani Pass


Advertisement
Lesotho's flag
Africa » Lesotho
June 12th 2013
Published: June 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Naude's NekNaude's NekNaude's Nek

The highest pass in S.A. On our way to Lesotho via Rodes. This was not the best decision because we were already running late, but,,,, what the heck, we were on holiday.
This trip was one of those which you kind of regret while you are busy with it, but afterwards, looking at the pictures, it once again becomes an adventure which you would not have missed for anything.
The 2 main reasons for this was because
1. we got away too late on the first day, which resulted in a scramble to get to the Lesotho border post in time. (Without sacrificing the nice gravel over the Naude's Nek, the highest pass in South Africa)

and

2. because the trip from Ramatsiliso to Sani and then still to Hilton was just too much for one day if you want to enjoy the scenery and take pictures.

The result was few pictures and a crash with a big rock because I lost the required concentration. Stupid mistake, but I am learning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

The result of a "what the heck attitude".The result of a "what the heck attitude".
The result of a "what the heck attitude".

From Matatielle to Lesotho through Ramatselitso Gate. Going up a "pass" / "4X4" almost required, and that at night. What a blast for someone who needs a bit of adrenalin now and then.
Ramatselitso Gate Ramatselitso Gate
Ramatselitso Gate

The worst part of the road is between the South African and Lesotho border posts which are about 400m apart.
Our AccommodationOur Accommodation
Our Accommodation

Fantastic experience. We slept in typical Basotho huts. This one is used to make fire and braai your food, or just have a beer and some conversation.
Our host, sheff etc.Our host, sheff etc.
Our host, sheff etc.

Real Colonial experience in a certain sense. Everyone had a lot of fun .
Flame grilled chicken.Flame grilled chicken.
Flame grilled chicken.

The lesson we had here was "sit on your ass, there's no smoke at the bottom".
Ramatselitso Ramatselitso
Ramatselitso

Early morning shortly before we leave. The winter light is always special.
On the way to SethlabathebeOn the way to Sethlabathebe
On the way to Sethlabathebe

Sehlabathebe national park is a special place with few visitors, but a real gem. If you want to feel special, go there.
Just a nice piture on the way.Just a nice piture on the way.
Just a nice piture on the way.

This route from Sethabathebe to Taung is the most beautiful I have experienced in Lesotho to date.
The road never stops.The road never stops.
The road never stops.

When planning a trip in Lesotho, remember that the average speed is NOT 100 km/h. Plan with 30 km/h or less for gravel roads in general and you will not get nasty surprises. Remember this is an adventure biker writing, not a 4X4 or KTM 300 rider.
Senqu RiverSenqu River
Senqu River

just before Taung


19th July 2014
Ramatselitso Gate

I like ramatseliso
Waw

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 38; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb