In Kakamega


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Western Province » Kakamega
February 9th 2013
Published: February 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post


Handing out sewing bags at the Women's Conference
We made it to Kakamega last Sat. after a 9 hour trip from Nairobi. Roads were the usual so it was often slow going. We picked up two of the nurses in Nairobi so now have a three nurse team, along with our five construction workers and four teachers. We are staying at the Shey Wey guest house. It reminds me of a 1940's hotel but when the water and electricity work we are thankful! Last Sunday we split up and visited various churches. Gary and I went to Eldoret. The church is small and housed in a tin building in a slum. The fellowship was sweet and the five hour service went quickly. The pastor and his wife invited us to his home afterwards.

Since then we have spent everyday at the school building site. GCM Chiristian Academy is a preschool through grade eight school. Students are at the school from 7:00 am - 5:00 pm which seems like an incredibly long day. There are about 200 students with half of them being orphans. We have enjoyed teaching and interacting with the students. The long jump ropes were a big hit!

On the construction front the containers still

Ground Dedication
haven't arrived. The government is holding them up because of an addendendum to the original document. We are hopeful they will be released next week. In the meantime, the construction team has cleared the site, supervised the kenyan workers digging 84 poles, and begun the cement slab for the floor. A caterpillar was rented for a day and a half for the site clearing and leveling. We are all grateful to Larry from Alaska. Somehow he convinced the Kenyan operator to let him use the dozer. It would not have been done yet if the Kenyan hadn't turned it over to Larry. A John Deere cap made a nice bribe!

Over 60 pastors came to the training this week. It's been fun to renew acquintances and visit with our "sons". The women's conference went well and had 60 - 70 attend as well. No doubt the nurses have had the most difficult job. Word got out nurses were at the school and hundreds showed up for treatment. It was quite overwhelming and meds had to be replenished many times. Rashes, malaria, dehydration, and high blood pressure were some of the common complaints. With the language barrier it took quite a bit of time with each patient. Also the orphans and school children were treated. It made for some very long days!

All members are remaining healthy and despite the containers not arriving, all seem to have a positive attitude. Tomorrow we will be moving to Kitale/Liavo. Hopefully the elevation gain will give us some respite from the heat.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0615s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb