Nakuru Safari


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province » Nakuru
June 16th 2014
Published: July 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

16 June: Nakuru, Kenya

Our morning started at 5AM with getting ready and having a quick breakfast which for me consisted of rice cakes. We then were picked up at 6AM by two vans to go on a full day safari. Samantha and I ended up in the van with Tamar (originally from Cali but now has been living in Australia for 13 years) and Dave (from Australia), Emily and boyfriend Mark (from London), Nichole (from Australia) and Mark (Julie's husband from Australia). It turned out to be a great safari. Within the first five minuets of entering the park we got to see three female lions eating their buffalo feast. Later we even saw a young male lion relaxing in the shade about ten meters from the road. We also got to see three white rhinos right in front of us and watched as they crossed the road right in front of us. at the end of the safari, we go to see a black rhino. The differences you can see between the two is actually the horn, mouth, and slightly color, it is also said that the black rhino is always alone. Other animals we go to see where the flamingos where they all are at this one part of the lake, zebras (always fun to see the babies with their back more brown), giraffes (also had a few babies), ostradge with a really small baby as well which was super cute with the mom and dad. There were wort hogs, gazelles, and impalas as well. During the day, we stopped by this waterfall to enjoy lunch and because of the heat of the day, we ended up stopping at this really nice lodge where Samantha and I were able to find some post cards. Then, when leaving the lodge, the van we were in wouldn't start so they had to do some rewiring and after sometime, then we were off.

After a great safari, we headed back to the campsite and reached about 6. everyone seemed to want to take a shower, so I figured I'd join a few others for a shower in the morning. The night was nice and relaxing with a dinner of grilled chicken (only honey roasted for myself and Tamar to be gluten free since the others included soy sauce and honey) with a nice salad and hot potato. It was also exciting to finally talk to my sister and mom for a few minuets as Samantha and I bought a Kenya SIM card with 50 mins for us to share. Later in the evening, most of us ended up at the bar to enjoy a nice bonfire before bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 66, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb