The End of Brain Hormone Project Phase 2


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province » Laikipia
April 21st 2008
Published: May 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Shining ThroughShining ThroughShining Through

Never a dull sunset in Africa.
Well, we managed to squeak by with enough starling specimens to make Brain Hormone Project Phase 2 a success. It was looking grim there for a while - I was worried we wouldn't acquire an adequate number of samples, which would have potentially rendered the samples we had already collected up to this point (all the birds from the first phase) useless. Although, I suppose I shouldn't get too ahead of myself - they still need to be analyzed. Thankfully that's not my job, though!

So now it's a day or two of rest, then the telemetry begins . . . in the meantime, enjoy this short photo-essay of random pictures from my past few weeks!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Wild DogsWild Dogs
Wild Dogs

Joined Kayna to find a pack of Wild Dogs, again. This time we were searching for a pack from which an individual recently had to be put down because of rabies, and now Kayna must monitor the pack every day for a few weeks to make sure no others have it.
Red HeadRed Head
Red Head

Red-headed Rock Agama. Caught this guy with a string-pull trap; he was either sunning himself on the rock I put the bait on, or eating the ants attracted by the bait - I'm not sure which.
Is it safe to come out?Is it safe to come out?
Is it safe to come out?

Found this African Hedgehog in my trap one morning, enjoying the hordes of ants attracted by the bits of chicken I'd used as bait the night before.
African Paradise-FlycatcherAfrican Paradise-Flycatcher
African Paradise-Flycatcher

This white morph (as opposed to the rufous morph) African Paradise-Flycatcher likes to flycatch near the offices - I often see him from my window.
GodfreyGodfrey
Godfrey

Posing with his Masaai "bling" in front of Clifford's Kopje - he asked me to take this photo so that he can give it to his girlfriend . . . what a guy!
Broken DoorBroken Door
Broken Door

The work of hyenas, trying to get to the trash pit.
Find the BirdFind the Bird
Find the Bird

Wilson and I found a Spotted Thick-knee (Dikkop) on a nest near where we were mistnetting one morning. They have impressively large eggs, relative to their body size! They also blend in quite well, and won't flush from the nest until you're practically standing on top of them.
Crazy GrasshopperCrazy Grasshopper
Crazy Grasshopper

Wilson found and caught this grasshopper one afternoon while we were exploring a set of cliffs, locally known as the Baboon Cliffs, that look out over the southeast part of Mpala (and neighboring ranches).
Adult Ant-lionAdult Ant-lion
Adult Ant-lion

We've been seeing quite a few of these at night as of late. Superficially resembles a dragonfly, but is actually the adult stage of an ant-lion.
Torquoise TortoiseTorquoise Tortoise
Torquoise Tortoise

Wilson and I stumbled across this tortoise while searching for Superb Starling nests one afternoon.
HatchlingHatchling
Hatchling

Baby Superb Starling, probably only a few days old, from a nest at about chest-level in an [i]Acacia drepanolobium[/i], or Knob-thorn Acacia (the type of acacias with bulbous hollow thorns in which specialized acacia-ants dwell).
[i]Bufo[/i] sp.[i]Bufo[/i] sp.
[i]Bufo[/i] sp.

Unknown toad hopping around outside the administration building one evening.
Golden Orb WeaverGolden Orb Weaver
Golden Orb Weaver

Look at that freakin' thing! Found this gal above where I had been sitting for several hours, watching a mistnet.
ArachnophobiaArachnophobia
Arachnophobia

Even though this spider *allegedly* doesn't pack much of a punch in its bite, I can't help but be a little wigged out by it.
Hissing Sand SnakeHissing Sand Snake
Hissing Sand Snake

Found on a night drive during which we also had great views of a leopard.
HidingHiding
Hiding

Wild Dog in the grass
Horned BeetleHorned Beetle
Horned Beetle

Wilson found this tiny two-horned beetle . . . add another one to the list of cool beetles in central Kenya!
Dinner Dung BeetleDinner Dung Beetle
Dinner Dung Beetle

This sanitary little guy decided to join us for dinner. Can't say he was invited.


5th May 2008

great pics!
you have some amazing pictures, Ty! Nice work. Maybe photojournalism is your calling?! Love you!
6th May 2008

Jumpin' Grasshoppers!
That is about the coolest grasshopper ever. Can't imagine how you found it in the first place. The baby starling looks like it has a smile on it's face. The spiders are terrific. Great photos!....M
26th August 2010
Adult Ant-lion

I've seen one of these in Oregon. Where did you see the one in the picture? I'm wondering where they are native to.
8th September 2010

This picture was taken in central Kenya . . . still haven't figured out what it is! Bizarre thing - like a nocturnal dragonfly.
14th April 2011
Adult Ant-lion

About
Sorry, but that's not a dragonfly...it looks more like a neuroptera (it is not either...but more alike)...Anyway it's a beautiful animal...
25th April 2011
Adult Ant-lion

Ant-lion not dragonfly
Hi Your picture shows an adult Antlion. They are not very closely related to "normal" dragonflies but have a similar appearance. The young antlion digs a small crater shaped hollow in loose sand or soil. Sits patiently well hidden at the bottom waiting for an ant to slip into the crater, it cant get up and then the antlion grabs it. Dragonflies never have antennae. Regards Katarina from Sweden
14th May 2011

Thanks, Katarina! I've always wondered what an adult ant-lion looks like. Now I know!

Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 95; dbt: 0.0947s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb