Rainy Days and Rainy Nights


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province » Kitale
August 12th 2013
Published: August 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

August is the beginning of the short rainy season in this area. In Liyavo, where we are staying the rains have contributed to some slippery, muddy roads. Pastor Timothy’s Toyota pickup has a difficult time getting through and we have been stuck too many times to count. People always appear to help and manage to push us out of the ruts. Four in the broken backseat is a tight fit.



The first Sunday we all spoke at the youth conference. Youth from four churches were with us in LuHome. The team members and I presented a puppet show outside under two trees and did a beading project. I can’t say enough good things about our team members. They are doing a super job and are never afraid to share, give a testimony, or interact with the Kenyan youth.



It is no accident they all come from rural, farm backgrounds. They take everything in stride and are flexible with all the schedule changes. We’ve taught several sessions in the schools and enjoyed our time in Kakamega. Everything looks good in the containers where the building materials for the new school are stored. Ashley, an employee of NFO in west central Wisconsin taught the herdsman how to milk two quarters at a time. He was completely amazed at how fast she could milk by hand. Yes brothers, I also tried my hand at milking and was successful even though, it must be 35 years since we had milk cows on our home farm.



On Sat. we all participated in the celebration of Timothy and Florence’s vow renewal. It was part pageant, parade, church service, and feast in one. Words can’t really describe the experience. It lasted most of the day with the preparations taking place the day and night before. Cows and chickens were butchered and food for 1000 was prepared. The procession lasted about two hours with hundreds of participants. I don’t really know if all the groups that danced into the tent area were representing bridesmaids or just announcing the bride’s arrival but it was something to see. It was an honor to be a part of. Ashley learned the dances and danced in with the girls. Steven and Sander walked in with the groomsmen. Gary sat under the tent waiting, and I tried to take pictures and not get to too lost in the crowd. There seemed to be men assigned to crowd control. I found one of Timothy’s sons to help me through the crowd to where I was to sit. There was a certain protocol for each part of the day. Since Gary and I purchased the cakes, I had to be involved in that part of the presentation. They couldn’t just be carried out, but again it was a long line of dancing to bring them into the center. For one day the yard of the Children’s home was transformed and the celebration brought the people together for a joyous occasion. Maybe for this one day , suffering and difficulties could be forgotten.



The word of this celebration had gone out far and wide. Besides us, four other Caucasians attended. We ate together and enjoyed meeting two Peace Corps volunteers and a German and a Swiss woman, both working at another nearby orphanage. The Peace Corps volunteers gave us a lot of valuable insight since they have been here over a year. They most appreciated visiting and the care package Steven gave them. They were missing junkfood!



The church service we took part in yesterday was one more Kenyan adventure. Gary, Timothy, and I each traveled by motorcycle. Riding to church in a car next Sunday will seem quite mundane after this ride. This motorbike taxi took two hours one-way to the church. I’m happy to report that we made it home safely last night at 8:30. We so appreciate your prayers!

Advertisement



12th August 2013

Praying daily for you
Hi Gary, Karen and mission team, I chuckle as I read of your experiences. It reminds me of my trip to Kenya in 2006. The wedding vow renewal pageant seemed fit for a king. It must have been something to see and as well as being a participant of. Karen, the motorcycle ride must have given you a few thrills along the way. We appreciate your dedication to Lord's work. Keeping you in our prayers, VAN & Sylvia
12th August 2013

Enjoyed your Blog
We enjoyed your vivid description of Timothy and Florence's celebration. We would have liked to see you riding on the motor bike taxis.

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb