More pictures!


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province » Kajiado
June 30th 2007
Published: June 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Al and a Maasai ManAl and a Maasai ManAl and a Maasai Man

Alan and I on our two hour walk to a nearby town... we went on our own and then this kind Maasai man lead the way for us.
Hello everyone!

I hope that everyone is great and had a wonderful week. Alan and I did a lot of work this week... and got pretty sick as well (not because of the work, though).

We got back into town on Wednesday and quickly made up for the two days that we missed. I really started getting into the research for my dissertation for university that is on the rural Kenyan Maasai pregnancy practices and beliefs... I started doing a lot of interviews and it was so interesting and so much fun. The women here are amazing... especially after you realize all the work they do while they are pregnant and still even while they are delivering children. They are remarkable. One of the woman said to me, "Now you know so much and you can give birth to your children just like a true Maasai." But for me that is all a few years down the road... a long, long, dusty African road 😊.

Alan gave the donation money to help build an extention onto the school. It is great to see it already going up. So, since we'll have the pictures before we go you'll
The SchoolThe SchoolThe School

You can see the work for the extention beginning on the left side...
be able to see what you helped create. It is really needed since they usually have 35-45 kids in each room... this is a huge help. The kids and teachers thank you all so much who have donated... and we thank you as well.

So the maternity and the school are benifiting from your help... there are a few other projects around the town and we are going to see where else we can help. But these two were the biggest and most needed projects.

As for being sick... welcome to the world of travel illiness...
We have been fairly ill for a couple of days now but luckily it is starting to clear up. Live and learn... luckily neither of us were too bad off.

We took the truck in this morning bright and early. There were between 50 and 60 people on it. Standing room only... insane. Then we went into Nairobi city to look for some shoes for myself... mine have about one thread to go before breaking... so I am wanting to buy the ones that the Maasai wear that are made out of tires... they are quite cool. We looked for them but couldn't find them so we'll check out the market in Ngong where we catch the trucks back into Saikeri.

Well, there you have it. We are in a pretty serious dry spell at the moment and are hoping for rain. So get out your sticks and do your rain dances for us. We are hoping that it'll rain enough tonight (although there are hardly any clouds at the moment) that we'll be able to do laundry... we really need to do laundry... it's been a couple of weeks. This internet cafe was full when we walked in...

I am hoping to put up a couple of pictures on here for your viewing pleasure. Two weeks of work to go for us and then two of traveling. We'll be back into town next Friday. We are going to the Central Highlands to visit Lake Navishia and Lake Nukuru... that's where we get to see lakes full of pink flamingos! I can't wait.

So much love from Africa,
Brooke (and Al)

p.s. Congratulations on your wedding Uncle Tony and Monette! I wish I could have been there to see it. I can't wait to see you and
Joseph and NathanielJoseph and NathanielJoseph and Nathaniel

Joseph is one of Al's students who helps our host family graze the goats and Nathaniel is the little 1 1/2 year old boy that we live with.
congratulate you in person.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Menu at Mary's cafeMenu at Mary's cafe
Menu at Mary's cafe

We get Chai here nearly every day... and we are learning so much that we can even read the menu!
MichelleMichelle
Michelle

The little 2 year old daughter of the nurse I work with.
Volunteers and MaasaiVolunteers and Maasai
Volunteers and Maasai

That's me in the red fabric (yeah. The one that matches my face) next to the Maasai... it's his fabric and he was holding my hand... I think that means we're married. Al is two over from me... he is unaware of my new status.
Old Maternity RoomOld Maternity Room
Old Maternity Room

Pictures of the new room to come...
Our host brothers and sisterOur host brothers and sister
Our host brothers and sister

Nathaniel 1 1/2, Purity 12, Evans 16. Evans is away at school at the moment so we only met him for one weekend.


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb