London to Nairobi...... Eventually!


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
December 1st 2008
Published: December 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We have joked about negotiating Terminal 5 as being the first challenge of our year travelling. Sadly our fears were realised as we fell at the first hurdle and failed to leave the country at the first time of asking!

We successfully checked us and our bags in, in plenty of time and then had a few things to sort out, so didn’t rush to get through security. With 35 minutes to go before take-off we went to security. However, by the time we got to the front of the queue there were only 33 minutes until take-off. Unfortunately, this did not comply with BA’s entirely inflexible requirement, so we were refused point blank to go any further and told we would need to book on to the next available flight. This was truly a case of, “Computer says no!” and there was absolutely no scope for common sense coming into play, despite the fact that we would clearly have made our flight with plenty of time to spare.

We joined the, not inconsiderable, queue of people who also fallen foul of BA’s frankly ridiculous requirement to clear security 35 minutes prior to departure. To cut a long story short we booked ourselves onto the same flight the next day, collected our bags and took the somewhat depressing 2 hour tube journey back to Upminster.

Pragmatic as ever, we’ve always taken the attitude that when things go wrong and turn out OK, they tend to make the best stories, but we’re not sure that really applies to this situation!…. But hey, although not the best start, if it’s the worst thing to happen to us over the year, we’ll be very happy.

After our “dry run” we successfully made it out of the country with no hitches and were successfully met at Nairobi airport.

The people we are staying with are really nice, as is the place we are staying in. However, it’s not quite the “home stay” experience we had expected. It’s a large, fortress-like house, quite a way out of town and purely designed to safely house people like us when they are volunteering. After a couple of days we have got to know our hosts quite well and spend most evenings playing cards, watching pirate DVDs and trying learn a few words of Swahili.

The only disadvantage of staying out of town is that in order to get anywhere you need to take a Matatu (think vastly overcrowded battered old minibus!). Although we have quickly become fairly adept at Matatu etiquette and they can be quite fun and very friendly if you don’t mind the squeeze…. we’re certainly seeing the real Kenya!

Over the weekend we went into town and generally acclimatized. Today was our first day at the orphanage, which was hard work, but a lot of fun. After only one day it is apparent that we will be sad to leave when our two weeks are up.

So far the food has been good, although simple, and if we keep eating as we are and running around after orphans we’re likely to shift a few pounds!

We wouldn’t be true Brits if we didn’t provide a weather update…. so far it’s been in the 20s, warm for us and cold for the locals. The rains are due to start in December and as if by clockwork, this morning we had our first drizzle.... Obviously climate change hasn’t reached Africa yet!


Advertisement



5th December 2008

address
do you have an address planned in asia for sending essentials like marmite and a warm pint of ale?
15th September 2009

Africa
Hi, have just looked through your blogs, what an amazing trip! I have just returned from a 2 year trip with my boyfriend where we travelled overland from London to Singapore then onto Australasia, we are planning our next trip and would love to travel overland through Africa, did you travel independently through africa on the local transport?? If not do you have any advice for us? Would love it if you could give us some advice. Sarah and Aaron

Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 96; dbt: 0.0937s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb