In Africa


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
October 29th 2008
Published: October 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We had an easy trip, considering the length of the flights (over 20 hours) and the distance and time zones crossed...We were able to stretch out on the last flight from Amsterdam to Nairobi, and got some sleep!
All of our bags arrived with us, including the 85 pounds of books we are bringing for the library...

Flying out of Seattle, we headed north and flew over LaConner...I could see the islands off our beach and the Olympic Mountains and San Juans further out. We then followed part of Highway 20 east, and the views were beautiful...

Amsterdam was rainy and cold.

It is warm here in Nairobi, but pleasant. Our hotel is near a shopping center, where we will stock up on food that is harder to get up country. We will go to the museum later today.

I am trying to learn some Swahili, and bought a phrase book. Everyone has been so nice and helpful...and since I am wearing an Obama button, I have had several conversations about the elections...people are so very hopeful for his election.

There is such a mix of cultures here. Many Indian people, Chinese, and various African peoples. A Maasai man walked by earlier in traditional clothing, with a man in western clothes.

All for now...I will add more photos later, so check back!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

More kinds of flour than I've ever seenMore kinds of flour than I've ever seen
More kinds of flour than I've ever seen

We did the shopping today, and the many kinds of flour and and rice available were amazing!
Well guarded homesWell guarded homes
Well guarded homes

This area was once very exclusive...less so now. This is a typical home near our hotel.
Walking to check out a hotel for our return to Nairobi next monthWalking to check out a hotel for our return to Nairobi next month
Walking to check out a hotel for our return to Nairobi next month

Crossing the streets is an adventure...very few gaps in traffic...no marked lanes, fast drivers, and they are on the 'wrong' side of the road!
the entrance to the Nairobi Museumthe entrance to the Nairobi Museum
the entrance to the Nairobi Museum

There are exhibits on mammals, ancient people, and the life phases of peoples of Kenya and the artifacts that go with them, from birth to death.
Women walkingWomen walking
Women walking

Two kinds of dress on the street...we walked back from the museum, hoping to find Obama T-shirts for sale. None to be found...but I got to see more of the city.
A mosqueA mosque
A mosque

The call to prayer came while we were walking by...very beautiful.


30th October 2008

Always nice...
Always nice to follow someones journey as they travel... especially a friend. Thanks for inluding me in your experience, Lynn! Good luck and safe travels, Steve Collins

Tot: 0.47s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 26; qc: 127; dbt: 0.1832s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb