From Tony


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Eastern Province » Maua
May 15th 2008
Published: May 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today I, Tony, am writing the blog because Starla is busy in the OPD and I wanted to write about our trip to visit Dorcas. This last week of ours is going by so fast. Yesterday, we walked with Andrew from the AIDS orphans program up past Kiegoi to the home that the team from St. Peter’s built for Dorcas in 2005. Andrew is doing an internship for his diploma at the hospital, and he is in charge of the overseeing the building of the homes. He also does semi-annual check-ups on the children who live in the homes.

We did not know if Dorcas would be home or not because she is 8 now and is in primary school. However, when we got there her Father greeted us and said that she was home because she has been sick for about a week. When she came out I could not believe how big she has grown. She has nearly doubled in size! Other than the cold that she has, she appeared healthy. I asked her if she was taking her medicine, and her father told me that she was. I was a little confused because last time we were here I had thought that her father was not involved with her. However, she and her father are living there together. Whatever the reason, this is good news and Andrew was happy with what he saw. It was also amazing how much the vegetation had grown on their property. Last time there was a lot of room to work, but this time the crops and plants were very big. There was no way that our large group from 2005 could have fit on the property. I asked her if she still had her Bible that we had left, but she explained that she had never received one. So, when we made our way back to Maua I stopped at the bookstore and bought her a Ki-Meru Bible. I signed it, to Dorcas from St. Peter’s UMC. Andrew assured me that he would personally deliver this one for us. He also told me that there were 2 other homes built with the money that we had brought for the hospital in 2005.

On our way back from Dorcas’s house we walked to the Kiegoi tea factory. It was an incredible site to see. The tea farmers bring their tea here and receive fair-trade prices for it. We saw the whole process and then were able to purchase some tea from the factory. It was wonderful tea! Maybe some of you will get a chance to taste it when we return.

Today I will be showing the video that I have been working on for the hospital. It is a short video (about 5 minutes) and will soon be up the website for all to view. The new hospital website, which is still under construction, is www.mckmauahospital.org. It should be closer to completion by the end of May with the video up. It is a wonderful website that a lady here from the UMC in Germany has been working on.

Please continue to pray for us when you remember us. Pray for our safety and protection as we work and travel, our work and relationships with others as we are coming to the end, and pray for us to arrive safely back in the States to tell the story in greater detail.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



15th May 2008

Dorcas
I'm so glad you were able to see Dorcas and get a picture!!! It is amazing how tall she has gotten and great that her father is now with her. For all the Bellevue folks - I brought home some of the tea Tony is talking about this summer if you want some!
16th May 2008

Thanks, Tony
What an inspiration to read your lastest entry. Blessings, Pastor Tom.

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0928s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb