It's February Already?


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Coast Province » Mombasa
February 9th 2007
Published: February 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Wow.

I have a birthday this month, so does Chelly. After weeks of scraping by on borrowed money, chasing after visa info on slow computers and crackling phone lines, banging heads with awful embassy personnel, and riding busted buses on broken roads, we might actually get to enjoy them stress-free.

It has really been fantastic, though--most of the time. We've balanced the unparrallelled headache of of the visa process with lots of quality family-and-friends time. Chelly has relatives scattered all across the Coast Province. We have a room at Dad's house in Mombasa's Mshomoroni neighborhood. We also have a bed at Auntie's house in town, where 7 sisters, brothers, and cousins share a small apartment with us. When we go to the family home in Voi, Mom puts us up with a whole house to ourselves. There're even a couple beds for us out in the mountains of Wyndani at Grandma Zighe's place.

All the Kenyans that I've met have been friendly and welcoming--and that's a whole lot, considering that the only people I've spoken to who weren't Kenyan were Somali refugees and Kenya-born Indians and Arabs. Chelly has a huge family with staggering numbers of friends and neighbors who might as well be family. We see them walking down the street, we party together on the weekends, and we're rarely caught without smiles on.

Now we've done all our research and borrowed the money to pay for Chelly's visa applications. The Greek one is being processed and when that is done, we apply for the U.S. There's been loads of madness in this process, and I'll tell all about it if I get the time and money to write more on here. I also plan to catch-up all the adventures we had in India and write about some of the fun we've had here in Africa.

Until then, enjoy these pictures.

Peace- Nic




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



16th February 2007

Beautiful people! Everyone's got a great smile.
22nd February 2007

hahahaha
Just picturing you in a Motorhead shirt with a sweet Manowar tattoo hanging with a bunch of Kenyans is blowing my mind. Looks like you are having a blast! Hope you guy's make it to Greece ok! Please eat as much Saganaki as humanly possible while in the motherland. xoxox -Cab
24th February 2007

blowin' minds
You have no idea, Cab. Most of the time I don't even wear a shirt.
9th March 2007

looks awesome as usual

Tot: 0.366s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 61; dbt: 0.2551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb