Sponsoring Sedi


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana
December 4th 2009
Published: December 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

I have looked into sponsoring a bit more and have decided to sponsor a 9 year old girl named Sedi. She is currently in Grade three, and i will sponsor her with mom for the next six years until she finishes junior secondary school. Here is a summary of her story and why i picked her.

On an average day sedi gets up at 4am. Her father is a chauffer for white people, so that means they have to get up really early so he can drop her to school before he needs to be at work. In school Sedi studies Twi, French, English, Math, ICT, geography and other subjects. At the age of nine she is already competent in/ learning 4 languages. She gets good marks, and is among the top of her class. After school she goes to her mother's food stand at the night market ( this is how i met her) She helps to cook, and stays until the stand closes at 10pm. then she and her siblings go with her mother back home, only to start again at 4am the next day.

Sedi's school fees are 26 Cedi per semester, about 18 dollars. Being the third child means that her family is already pressed to fund the other children. Her older brother prince, aged 12, is selling phone credit in hte evenings to help out. While prince doesnt take that much interest in school, Sedi does. she wants to be a lawyer when she gets a bit older, and studies hard for this goal.

The fact is that there arent free schools in Ghana. the reason is clear but it has no easy solution. About 90 percent of all commerce in Ghana is unofficial meaning that it cannot be taxed. most people are vendors or tro tro drivers with no offical records of their spendings or earnings what so ever. With no income from taxes, the Government doesnt have any capital to spend on educational or health institutions. For this reason, Parents must provide for thier childrens education even though whole families live on a few dollars a day. because of the expense many children cannot afford to go, and they, in turn, are only qualified to be vendors or drivers themselves.

Advertisement



4th December 2009

Caught Up on Your Adventures
I've been busy and finally had time to read your last four blogs. I agree with you that "luxury" is relative. In reading your blogs, it seems you have personally helped several needy people. That's what I prefer to do--help someone directly. When you give to organizations, you're never sure how much of your gift actually goes to the needy people. Your Aunt Monique has someone at her work who, because of a health issue and recent divorce, can't work and is in dire financial straits. She has two sons to support. So the people at Monique's work pitched in and bought seven bags of groceries and also gave her money. They brought her more food and cash at Thanksgiving and will do the same( plus presents) for Christmas. So that's where I have contributed cash, because I know it goes to the persons who need it. I think it is wonderful that you and your mom are supporting Sedi and her education for the next six years. She sounds like a child that will make good use of the help and if she becomes a lawyer (or some other profession) she will break the poverty cycle. Good luck in your upcoming exam(s). It's wonderful you'll be home in two weeks. Be safe and take care. Much Love.

Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0774s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb